DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Job Title Administrative Assistant
Job ID 3972
Location Lincoln Park Campus
Full/Part Time Full-Time
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
Responsible for the smooth administrative coordination of the Department of African and Black Diaspora Studies (ABD) and the Center for Black Diaspora (CBD). Manager of record is ABD Chair but will report to managers of both ABD and CBD. Also serves as office assistant for the Center for Black Diaspora. Position is split 65% in ABD and 35% CBD.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Provides administrative support for smooth ABD Department operations.
- Direct inquiries and visitors to the appropriate staff for detailed information.
- Provide accurate information about the department to students and visitors.
- Assists with correspondence and helps prepare reports and support materials.
- Assists with the faculty recruitment process [full and part-time], promotion and tenure, faculty merit review, and the maintenance of personnel files.
- Records and prepares departmental minutes.
- Manages departmental office spaces and inventory of office supplies.
- Maintains web site content and design and updates to social media accounts as needed.
- Maintain department contact lists, and information databases including current student and alumni lists to assist with outreach activities.
- Handles department scheduling in concert with department chair.
- Maintains the FAM Tool (Security Swipe System), Work Order system, and office key log.
- Participates in the hiring of and trains student assistants.
- Creates schedules, delegates and monitors student work, and approves hours of student assistants.
- Coordinates operating, discretionary and/or grant budgets including daily transactions, scholarships, and transactional procurement transactions including office supplies and equipment with the Financial Services Liaison in the Controller’s Office.
- Gives budgetary, conference, and operational support to faculty, staff, and students within the department.
- Initiate and follow through on processing transfers, invoices, honoraria, payments, etc. according to accepted LAS and University policies and practices.
- Manages, in coordination with department chair, department operating and/or discretionary budgets including daily transactions, procurement, part-time payroll, and monthly reconciliation of financial reports for Chair’s approval.
- Maintain updated projected budget spreadsheet accounting for all pending items.
- Create and analyze monthly and quarterly financial reports on actual and projected spending.
- Oversee and ensure maintenance of accurate and timely budget transaction reconciliations for all administrative budgets throughout the unit.
- Responsible for accurate and up-to-date budget files.
- Event Planning and Special Projects.
- Collaborates with various staff/faculty, departments, and offices in preparation of special projects.
- Manage logistics: location, menu, transportation arrangements, order audio and visual equipment, and RSVP management.
- In concert with the LAS Budget Office, negotiate necessary contracts with facilities, catering, and any outside vendors.
- Coordinate and cross promote events with personnel with the Alumni Relations Office, Division of Enrollment Management and Marketing and other affiliated units at the University.
- In concert with Financial Services and the LAS Budget Office, completes contracts with speakers, travel arrangements, and short/long-term housing needs.
- Manages events on the DePaul University Events Page and department webpages.
- Provide administrative support to the administrative head of CBD:
- Direct inquiries and visitors to the CBD Reading Room.
- Direct inquiries and visitors to the Director and Staff for detailed information.
- Provide accurate information about CBD to students and visitors.
- Also, promptly communicate significant issues to upper management keeping them apprised of deadlines and policies.
- Assists with written/electronic correspondence and help prepare reports and support materials.
- CBD Office administration & Event support.
- Coordinates Center technology and troubleshoots all issues.
- Manages logistics: including, but not limited to space reservations and addressing audio and visual needs
- Assists during CBD events: including, but not limited to audio-visual needs, attendee registrations, book signings, etc.
- Assists with photocopying, flyers, technical support. Photocopies office materials; and performs other Center-related office duties as needed.
- CBD - Collaborates with the director in preparation of special projects.
- Maintains and coordinates—with Director and Staff—marketing materials for various events.
- Manages the content and design of the Center Web site to keep it accurate and current and updates to social media accounts.
- Assists Director and Staff with projects, including but not limited to Annual Reports, Podcast, Newsletters, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma.
- At least one year of experience in administration.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Train, create schedules for and approve hours of student assistants.
- Work with faculty and administrative heads to provide tasks for student assistants.
- Ensures student assistant task completion and reviews work completed.
- Responsible for timely approval of student time records.
Other Skills & Abilities Reqd
- Strong time-management skills - including task anticipation, completion, and follow-through.
- Strong organization skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Strong and clear communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft and Adobe Suites.
- Ability to remain current in technology - researching and utilizing useful technology.
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University's mission. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Required Background Check: