Research Associate 2
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-09
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The department of Medicine, division of Hematology is actively seeking a full-time Research Associate 2. The Research Associate will perform laboratory experiments using mammalian cancer cell lines established from patients with HTLV-1 and other viral associated lymphomas. She or he will be expected to handle and process clinical samples (peripheral blood or tumor specimens), perform experiments on cell lines, and possibly animal models as needed by the project. She or he will perform standard molecular biology procedures and techniques, including DNA/RNA/protein extractions, cloning, PCR, gel electrophoresis, immunoprecipitation, immunoblotting, immunofluorescence, and learn new molecular biology techniques that become available or are needed for the project.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs specialized and complex experiments/studies.
- Participates in the publication of significant research results.
- Advances expertise through education, training, and research.
- Writes extramural grants/proposals to gain support when appropriate.
- Collects, prepares, analyzes, dissects, and evaluates specimens and tissue cultures.
- Weighs and anesthetizes laboratory animals for experiments.
- Operates sensitive and highly complex laboratory equipment.
- Performs calculations to complete research test results.
- Performs photography and dark room processing.
- Participates in training sessions and workshops.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Skill in collecting, organizing, and analyzing data.
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of problems.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:r4