Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - OBGYN
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-08
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University of Miami OB/GYN Department has an exciting opportunity for a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). The LPN administers nursing care, under the supervision of a registered nurse, and ensures the health, comfort, and safety of patients. The incumbent provides quality care to designated patients and takes on various responsibilities, such as participating in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing care, as well as cooperating with the members of the nursing and medical staff and other hospital departments.Collects patient assessment data and notifies appropriate nurse of actual or potential problems and needs on an ongoing basis. Records patient information concisely, accurately, and completely. Administers medications and performs treatments and procedures for all patients as assigned. Assists with preparation of patient materials or correspondence that RNs, ARNPs, or MDs utilize to communicate with organizations within or outside the University. Assists in preoperative and postoperative health teaching for patients and families. Shares responsibility for the planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing care plans. Participates in team conferences, sharing knowledge, information, and ideas with team members. Performs more-complex nursing activities as competence increases. Communicates frequently with team leader regarding patients’ physical and mental conditions. Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing
Certification and Licensing:
Valid State of Florida LPN license, BLS required
One year LPN experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
- Commitment to the University’s core values.
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
Department Specific Functions 50%
- Ability to communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing).
- Knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in administering routine and special treatments to
patients, specifically OBGYN, high risk OB patients, and pediatric/adult multi-specialties (if rotated to Doral Commons). This could include injections, glucose testing, assisting with set up of fetal monitoring, etc.
- Knowledge of sterile techniques and special procedures that are applicable to work performed (will be trained on proper disinfection of any applicable instruments and disinfecting rooms in between patients).
- Knowledge of infection control procedures and safety precautions.
- Knowledge of age specific competencies. This position deals with a range of subspecialities including pediatric and adult patients – endocrine, surgery, high risk OB, ultrasound, so the incumbent will be trained to do vitals/intake and handling of patients per each specialty’s protocol.
- Review of provider orders for labs, procedures to ensure accuracy
- Assist with triage protocols for patients in clinic
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients and clinic staff.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:h84