Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-17
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Electrician, Licensed performs building maintenance and repair work, and responds to the corrective needs of electrical equipment, and system components.
Performs highly skilled maintenance, installation, repair and troubleshooting work involved with electrical systems, motors, and life safety systems. Responsible for compliance with codes and quality checks of campus electrical work. Work involves technical application of electrical principles.
- Performs Preventive Maintenance work as assigned by supervisor
- Maintains work areas and equipment rooms in a clean and safe condition at all times
- Receives requests for corrective repair work on a variety of building, equipment and system components; utilizes several trades’ skills in the performance of maintenance and repair work.
- Repairs panels, partitions and other building structures; installs building parts and cuts, shapes and fastens materials such as wood, plastic, ceiling tile, fiberglass and drywall to make ready for installation; may erect or repair building frames.
- Keeps daily logs on major components up-to-date.Cycles and tests emergency generators.Cleans and paints equipment. Contacts the appropriate supervisor when the nature of the work is beyond the person’s capability - then assists with the completion of the work as required.
- Routinely maintains and repairs circulator and sump pumps, refrigeration units, auxiliary diesel generators, fans and similar electrical equipment.
- Installs lighting fixtures and other electrical apparatus; test circuits for continuity and overloading and performs related electrical maintenance and repair work as required.
- Conduct fire alarm test in conjunction with security. Participates in moving and installing machinery and equipment.
- Erects scaffolding to provide access to work areas and works from heights.
- Operates a variety of tools and equipment such as hand saws, planer, joiner, shaper, table saw, wood lathe, drill press, sanding machines, router, electric drills, etc.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and files on equipment and facility preventative maintenance.
- Maintains tools, machinery, and equipment in good condition.
- Performs related work as required.
- May performs other skilled maintenance activities including construction, welding, brazing, and soldering.
- Tests, maintains, and evaluates equipment performance using instruments such as voltmeters, ohmmeters, pyrometers, and pressure gauges.
- Inspects air conditioning and heating systems and performs general maintenance work of systems.
- Replaces belts, filters and pulleys. Records the equipment conditions and reports anomalies to supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent required
Certification and Licensing:
Must possess a valid Journeyman Electrician’s license.
Minimum 5 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment.
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Commitment to the University’s core values.
Ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and building codes (as appropriate) used in at least two of the building, electrical, or mechanical trades and BOCA codes.
- The occupational hazards and safety precautions involved in the maintenance of building physical structures, equipment and system components
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c104