GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Dr. Chan's laboratory is seeking a highly motivated individual with solid expertise in biological cell culture to perform in-vitro experimentation with human cells. The applicant will be responsible for a wide array of biological assays including the generation and culture of human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), differentiating them into various adult tissue types (microglia, astrocytes, neural progenitors, cerebral organoids, etc) and performing in-vitro phenotypic assays on them, including viral infection as well as determining various immune phenotypes. Phenotyping is performed mainly using flow cytometry as well as cell sorting using FACS. Depending on the level of expertise as well as the research interest of the individual, the position allows for developing computational and statistical methods in the context of ongoing projects. The position is a critical component in the characterization of viral and immune phenotypes for Alzheimer disease using cerebral organoid models.
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator or Designee, the Research Associate performs a variety of complex research experiments.
- Conducts in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Performs complex laboratory experiments
- Interprets data, forms conclusion, and decides on and plans next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
- Compiles and analyzes data and performs computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
- Assists in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Reviews literature
- Trains new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Maintains laboratory supplies and equipment
- Complies with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 1 year relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
- Experience in human cell line culture including culture of induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs).
- Experience in iPSCs to adult tissue type differentiation.
- Experience in viral infection of human cells.
- Experience in cell staining and flow cytometry assays.
- Experience in performing next-generation sequencing experiments
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
May functionally supervise Lab Technicians and Aides
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.