Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.
The Administrative Assistant provides high-level support to the Associate Dean for Operations and Strategy, Director of Curriculum Support, and the Office of the Dean. The successful candidate interacts with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff, and visitors at all levels within Hofstra University and Northwell Health and acts as liaison to forge productive working partnerships with colleagues to enhance the contributions of the School of Medicine. This is an onsite position; work for this role is performed on campus.
Responsibilities and Duties include but are not limited to:
• Assists with the day-to-day operations of the Office of the Dean by providing direct support to the Associate Dean and Director;
• Tracks, schedules and coordinates the recruitment process for new positions, under the guidance of the Associate Dean and Director, and in collaboration with the hiring manager, and assists with correspondence related to employee recruitment;
• Ensures arrangements are made for meetings and develops agendas; compiles materials for meetings, appointments and special events, arranges travel, communicates with presenters or special guests, applies audio/visual experience to assist as needed;
• Prepares documents, reports, and presentations for the Office of the Dean as needed;
• Acts as a representative of the Office of the Dean and serves as a liaison with the university community, including students, administrators, and faculty;
• Assists other administrative assistants and deans to cover absences, provide relief to equalize peak work periods, or otherwise balance the workload within the Office of the Dean;
• Establishes, develops, and maintains electronic correspondence logs and database tracking systems;
• Maintains employee confidence; fields/answers all routine and non-routine questions; handles confidential and non-routine information and explains policies when necessary;
• Completes other special duties and projects, as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree is required. Must be detail-oriented, able to exercise good judgment and discretion, and capable of handling sensitive and confidential issues in a professional manner. At least five years of progressive experience providing administrative support in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment is required. Must have superb computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including Word (mail merge and tables), Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and use the Internet. Is able to work independently and within a team, has excellent organizational abilities, and possesses superior oral and written communication skills. Must have experience with scheduling and preparing for conference calls and meetings, and the ability to handle multiple tasks expediently and accurately.
For consideration, please send a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.