Records Evaluator (Categorically Funded)
Records Evaluator (Categorically Funded)
Salary: $4,544.43 - $5,461.32 Monthly
Job Type: Full time
Job Number: Records Evaluator-2020
Closing: 12/3/2020 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Norwalk, CA
Department: Records Evaluator-2020
Division: Enrollment Services
This position will close on December 3, 2020 at 11:59 PM (or when 175 applications are received, whichever occurs sooner).
Performs specialized transcript evaluations providing counselors, academic advisors, and students with accurate and current information regarding the use of courses taken at other higher education institutions. Prepares, completes and forwards to the school of transfer a certification of articulated lower division courses for general education including transfer courses taken at other colleges. Performs student graduation checks and evaluates transcripts for acceptability for various College degrees and certificate requirements.
Distinguishing Career Features
In addition to evaluations of transcripts and matriculation records, the Records Evaluator requires the ability to perform in any admissions and records functions including, but not limited to, admissions, registration, residency, academic progress, and student status.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews and assesses official transcripts from other educational institutions and verifies acceptable accreditation. Researches and reviews reference manuals and state guidelines for course comparability. Reviews high school transcripts and standardized test results.
- Provides counselors, academic advisors, and students with accurate and current information regarding the use and transferability of courses taken at other colleges and universities.
- Posts transferable courses to student's academic record.
- Evaluates and completes graduation petitions for Associate of Arts degree, Associate of Science degree, general education, and certificate petitions. Prepares and mail completed major curriculum and GE guides and degree audits to students.
- Calculates student cumulative data and grade point average, converting data to semester system if prior educational institution operated on a quarter system.
- Performs quality control to educational advising by analyzing potential discrepancies or inconsistencies identified while evaluating degree petitions.
- Explains degree requirements, repeatability policies, etc. Notifies students of evaluation results, advising them of appropriate options to satisfy outstanding requirements, explaining pertinent laws, regulations, policies and procedures, and other degrees and certificates for which they are eligible.
- Interprets College policies, and federal and state codes, providing determinations as to whether exceptions are viable and advising on appropriate processes to request feasible exceptions.
- Conducts reevaluation of degree and certificate petitions at conclusion of each semester, posting degrees and certificates to affected students' academic records in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Determines student eligibility for general education certification to the university systems. May determine student athletic eligibility.
- Processes non-traditional credit requests that include advanced placement, and course challenges. Evaluates waivers and substitutions.
- Verifies that all core courses and general education courses are completed and that official transcripts are sent to the State Boards for programs culminating in licenses and certificates, such as but not limited to medical and cosmetology fields.
- Determines equivalency of courses taken at other colleges and institutions; check for course repetitions and courses taken out of sequence; verify level, content, unit value and grading system from catalogs or through correspondence with other institutions.
- Maintains file of academic rulings and policy decisions affecting transcript evaluations and graduation.
- Processes official transcript requests.
- Assists supervisor in developing and implementing new job related systems as needed (e.g., degree audit system).
- Answers personal inquiries and telephone calls from students, staff and the public, and provides technical information and guidance as needed.
- Develops and maintains student records and files.
- Assists other Admissions and Records staff with student enrollment and registration as needed to balance variations in work flow.
- Assists with other student records activities as needed which may include but are not limited to distributing, collecting and reviewing grade rosters, and assisting with graduation duties.
- Reviews and maintains student management system tables for course and program prerequisite alerts.
- Maintains currency in knowledge and skills related to the duties and responsibilities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. Qualifications.
The position requires in-depth knowledge of College policies, procedures, graduation requirements, general education, certification, and course contents. Requires a thorough knowledge of the procedures and methods involved in the evaluation of student records and transcripts. Requires a working knowledge of the content, layout, and codes used by Colleges in catalogs, course descriptions and course numbering systems. Requires in-depth knowledge of and skill at using computer-aided student information systems. Requires a working knowledge of applicable College policies and procedures, student record keeping and records accountability requirements, California community college curriculum and course evaluation standards, and State and Federal education codes. Requires sufficient language skills to prepare professional correspondence. Requires sufficient human relations skills to work productively with staff and students, resolve problems, and explain technical and procedural concepts. Requires sufficient math skills to compute sums, portions, statistics, and ratios.
Requires the ability to evaluate student records to determine graduation eligibility and certification of general education requirements. Requires the ability to explain and interpret rules, regulations and policies related to the evaluation of student records. Requires the ability to conduct research and interpret, analyze, and evaluate student academic transcripts and course work. Requires the ability to maintain positive working relationships with a diverse population of students, staff and external contacts. Requires the ability to maintain confidentiality of private and/or sensitive information. Requires the ability to operate standard office equipment and utilize general and specialized software packages/applications for word processing, spreadsheets, and database maintenance. Requires the ability to maintain cooperative and productive relationships with others.
The position incumbent must be able to function indoors in an office environment engaged in work of primarily a sedentary nature. Requires ambulatory ability and manual dexterity to sit upright, often for long periods of time, to utilize microcomputer and accomplish other desktop work, and to move to various campus locations. Requires near visual acuity to read printed materials and microcomputer screen. Requires auditory ability to carry on conversations in person and over the phone. Requires the ability to retrieve work materials from files.
Licenses and Certificates
May require a valid driver's license.
Work is performed indoors where some safety considerations are minimal.
Conditions of Employment
This is a full-time, 12-calendar month categorically funded position. Continued employment is contingent upon funding and the provisions of the CSEA collective bargaining agreement.
Hours of employment are:
Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Initial placement of employees on Classified Salary schedule is at Step 1. After six months of successful probationary employment, employee is placed at Step 2.
Employment is to be effective as soon as possible following completion of the selection process.
Individual who is offered employment shall be required to obtain fingerprints for a criminal history clearance through the State Department of Justice and remit the required fee for processing the fingerprints, Federal Bureau of Investigation (no fee if obtained at Cerritos College Campus Police Station), produce an original social security card, and submit negative TB test results (must be within the past four years or within the last 60 days if not previously employed in a school district in California) before employment.
Proof of eligibility to work in the United States and signing of loyalty oath per Government Codes 3100-3109.
**Please note - the District does not provide for immigration sponsorships such as H1B Visas
Education and Experience
Education and Experience The position requires an Associates Degree and three years of experience in an admissions/student enrollment function. Direct and progressively responsible experience in admissions/enrollment may substitute for some post-secondary education on a two-to-one year basis.
1-2 years of experience in evaluating transcripts in higher education
Experience of Transfer Evaluation System (TES) and Assist databases
Experience implementing, maintaining, or supporting a degree audit system
Transcripts and Foreign Degrees
It is the applicant's responsibility to provide copies of all transcript(s) verifying all educational degree(s) and/or coursework required for the position.
A foreign transcript must be evaluated by a NACES certified agency. The web address is www.naces.org.
All qualifying educational degrees/training must be from regionally accredited colleges and/or universities.
Application materials must be submitted by the closing date. Applicants who need special services or facilities due to disability in order to apply or interview for this position must notify Human Resources at the time of application or at least 72 hours prior to the closing date or date of a scheduled interview.
Cerritos College is ranked 14th among the top 100 schools with the highest Hispanic enrollment in the United States by the United States Department of Education. Cerritos College serves as a comprehensive community college for southeastern Los Angeles County. Communities within the college's district include Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, La Mirada, Norwalk, and portions of Bell Gardens, Lakewood, Long Beach, Santa Fe Springs and South Gate. Cerritos College offers degrees and certificates in more than 180 areas of study in nine divisions. Enrollment currently averages 23,000 students. Visit Cerritos College online at http://www.cerritos.edu
The Enrollment Services division consists of Outreach, Admissions and Records, Financial Aid, and Placement Center programs and services that meet the needs of a highly diverse student population The division offers high touch services and is primarily responsible for providing outreach in the community, applications for admissions and financial aid, placement, registering students, disbursing financial aid, collecting payments, issuing parking passes, processing grades, evaluating records for graduation, certificates and transfer, providing official transcripts and enforcing regulations and deadlines.
Required Documents needed to apply
Cover letter / Letter of Interest
Copy of Transcripts (Must show all coursework completed and the conferral date of the degree)
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cerritosedu/jobs/2893939/records-evaluator-categorically-funded
The District ensures that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity, and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of national origin, religion, age, sex or gender, race, color, medical condition, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or because he or she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. .
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency