School of Medicine Department of Neurosurgery
Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship
Position Number: 00779548
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.There is an immediate opening for a Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship. This 12-month position is located at the Anschutz Medical Campus. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 28,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is well known for its distinctive and highly productive research programs, its world-class health facilities and its well-established partnerships in business, industry and government. These campuses currently have over $400 million in research awards each year. Denver is one of America’s most vibrant urban centers, which affords our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.Hours of work for this position are variable. The post-doctoral fellow may choose their work hours as best fits in order to complete the work required. Nature of Work: The Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus School of Medicine invites applications for a Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery Post-Doctoral Fellow to conduct computational neuroscience related research on human intracranial brain recordings. Specific projects will focus on the neural signals for sensory processing (olfactory, auditory, somatosensory), allocating resources of attention, and engineering improved brain computer interface systems. Data will come from deep brain stimulation surgeries, intracranial epilepsy recordings, and chronic brain computer interface recording devices. Job Duties:Preparation of data recording equipment, development of tasks, and applying signal processing techniques using MATLAB and/or Python. The position will be expected to oversee data collection, assist in implementing tasks in the operating room, bedside, and clinic, and develop and maintain a signal processing pipeline. The Post-Doctoral Fellow will also train other laboratory personnel in experimentation and computational neuroscience techniques. This is a 12-month Essential Position which requires the selected candidate to be present, in person or remotely, occasionally during times of campus closure due to weather and other events, or nights/weekends. Please note that as a condition of employment, the selected candidate must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check. The selected candidate will require access to the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus system in order to collect data during surgeries, and at the bedside, and the position will include patient contact. Salary and Benefits:Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment.The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation Diversity and Equity:Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A qualified candidate must have a PhD or MD in neuroscience or biomedical/bioengineering-related fields.
- The ideal candidate will have significant experience with Psychtoolbox and Python, as well as machine learning algorithms such as RNNs.
- Previous experience with chronic recordings in non-human primates or humans is also highly-preferable.
- Experience with kinematic data collection techniques, particularly DeepLabCut will be viewed favorably.
- The candidate will have experience with multiple recording modalities including micorelectrodes and macroelectrodes. This includes detailed knowledge of setting up and troubleshooting recording systems.
- They will have significant experience with complex signal processing techniques for evaluating single-units, local field potentials, and the interaction between the two, as well as advanced statistical modeling. High-level experience with Matlab is necessary.
- A successful candidate will be highly organized; has the ability to effectively communicate both written and orally; and can collaborate with an interdisciplinary group of clinicians and basic neuroscientists. The ability to generate hypotheses, design experiments, and troubleshoot issues is necessary.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Nov 6, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing