Lecturer - Foundations and/or Curriculum & Instruction (Education)
Lecturer - Foundations and/or Curriculum & Instruction (Education)Posting Number:
8209RCW Exemption Criteria:
10 - Academic PersonnelEWU Position Number:
13.01 - General EducationFLSA:
Exempt - TeachingBargaining Unit :
UFE% Full Time:
100%Salary / Wage Range:
For a full academic year, these positions are budgeted at $50,786 (minimum salary).
For appointments beginning in January 2021, these positions are budgeted at $33,857, to cover the initial two-quarter appointment, beginning 01/06/2021 through 06/15/2021.Anticipated Start Date:
01/06/2021Term of Appointment:
Winter and Spring 2021 for initial year; positions are renewableLocation:
Yes - BothLevel 1 User with Access:
Bekah BrayResponsible HR User:
Lori LivingstoneResponsible HR User Email address:
The College of Arts, Letters, and Education at Eastern Washington University invites applications for Lecturer positions in the Department of Education to begin January 2021. We anticipate filling at least two positions from this recruitment. Focus for these positions will be Foundations and/or Curriculum and Instruction graduate programs in the Department of Education.
The preparation of educators is central to the mission of the Education Department and the selected individual will work closely with colleagues in all areas of the department. We offer the following graduate programs that lead to a Master in Education degree.
- Adult Education
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Early Childhood Education
- Educational Leadership
We seek an outstanding educator with successful experience teaching in educational settings. Experience in higher education environments is highly desirable.
Responsibilities will include primarily teaching online courses in foundations, theories of learning, philosophy of education, curriculum development and evaluation, research methods, and overseeing program completion for students. Faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of student learning.
The candidate selected for these positions will be expected to teach online and face-to-face classes according to the needs of the department.
Additionally, the candidate selected for these positions will be expected to offer experience and/or interest in online learning and the pursuit of grants, to expand the university’s endeavors in those areas. In addition, candidates will be expected to attend in person or virtually faculty retreats, meetings, and professional development around program improvement.
Screening of applications will begin Nov.5th, 2020; recruitment will remain open after the screening date, and until further notice. All materials will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.About Eastern Washington University:
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
The strongly preferred start date for these positions is 01/06/2021.
Note: Interviews will be conducted via Zoom (camera must be enabled). The reason for this interview requirement, is that the courses to be taught by these positions in Winter quarter 2021, will be conducted via online platforms, utilizing Zoom and other technologies. Candidates must be able to demonstrate competence using these technologies.
These positions, during the course of university employment, will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.Physical Demands :
Essential Functions Analysis forms (“EFA”) describe the physical and mental demands associated with our positions. You may access this document at the link provided below:
EFA for Lecturer – Foundations and Curriculum & Instruction
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
None anticipated.Required Qualifications:
- Doctorate or ABD in a field of education or relevant discipline.
- Two or more years of online teaching experience
- Higher education experience
- Two or more years of P-12 experience or equivalent
- Expertise in Curriculum Instruction or Foundations
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Preference may be given to candidates who offer one or more of the following preferred qualifications:
- P-12 experience or equivalent
- Evidence of collaboration and relationships
- Evidence of the ability to develop strong relationships with students
- Time Management
Schedule will vary from quarter to quarter to fulfill position’s responsibilities. Teaching assignments will include online classes and may include evening or weekend classes.Posting Date:
10/27/2020Open Until Further Notice:
YesScreening to Begin:
11/05/2020Special Instructions to Applicants:
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Submit your application materials through our online faculty applications portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resource Services at (509) 359-2381.
Position is open until further notice; screening will begin Nov.5, 2020. All materials will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below:
- Cover letter: please describe how you meet each of the required and preferred qualifications
- Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence: Attach evidence of effective teaching to include teaching evaluations if available for the most recent two years. Student evaluations should not include the original evaluation materials, but should be limited to 3rd party summaries.
- List of Professional References: please include a list of at least three references including names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and their connection to you.
- Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Applicant Certification – please download the Certification form (link is provided in the next field); then complete and sign the form, and upload it to this link.
- Additional optional links: if you have additional documents that serve as evidence of how you meet the qualifications, you may upload those items to the optional links labeled Other Document #1 and Other Document #2.
Note: Interviews will be conducted via Zoom (camera must be enabled). The reason for this interview requirement, is that the courses to be taught by these positions in Winter quarter 2021, will be conducted via online platforms, including Zoom and other technologies. Candidates must be able to demonstrate competence using these technologies.Required Applicant Certification:
Pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080, applicants for employment at any Washington State institution of higher education, are required to provide a signed statement verifying information about their history of prior sexual misconduct and providing authorization for current and previous employers to disclose relevant records to Eastern Washington University.
All applicants are required to download the statement linked below, complete and sign it, and then attach the signed statement as part of their job application: Required Applicant Certification.
Attach the completed and signed certification to the document link called Applicant Certification.
100Responsibility / Duty:
Teaching: typical workload for this position will involve about 30 credits per academic year in foundations of education courses, and the candidate may be required to teach other courses that fulfill the need of the Department and Program.
Teaching includes the following additional related responsibilities as defined in the faculty CBA:
- Meet all scheduled classes
- Plan, organize and inform students of the course content, texts, readings, assignments, attendance regulations and methods of evaluation including grading scales
- Schedule and attend office hours
- Turn in grades according to established deadlines
Additionally, all faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of student learning.
AY20-21 Teaching Responsibilities (for winter 2021 and spring 2021)
Winter 2021 (16 credits)
- EDUC 507 (4 credits)
- EDUC 520 (4 credits)
- EDUC 522 (4 credits)
- EDUC 522 (4 credits)
Spring 2021 (15 credits)
- EDUC 507 (4 credits)
- EDUC 624 (3 credits)
- EDUC 522 (4 credits)
- EDUC 522 (4 credits)