MOSDOH - Director Clinical Faculty
A.T. Still University's Missouri School of Dentistry and Oral Health is seeking a Director of Clinical Faculty on the St. Louis, MO campus. This position reports to the Vice Dean, Clinical Affairs and Advanced Dental Education. This primarily administrative position includes providing direct supervision of the Comprehensive Care/Specialty Care faculty, and secondary role includes supporting the educational program and providing student support as needed. These responsibilities may include working with the Vice Dean, Clinical Affairs and Advanced Dental Education to successfully onboard faculty, ensure faculty are calibrated, set annual goals for each faculty member, complete end of the year annual performance evaluations for faculty, identify the need for faculty development and leadership exercises, implementing best practices among all Comprehensive/Specialty Care Units and effective communication/messaging, assist in streamlining clinical operations, work with the Director, Student Success to provide information on student time-off, work with the Director, Clinic Operations to schedule clinic coverage and approve faculty time-off, serve as liaison with the Director, Dentistry in the Community and Integrated Community Service Partnerships to determine the number of additional rotations beyond the required number and assume any other responsibilities as assigned by the Vice Dean, Clinical Affairs and Advanced Dental Education.
Major Job Duties
- General – Promote an atmosphere of respect, collegiality, commitment to diversity and social justice, and humanistic learning environment; conduct research, teaching, service and patient care activities in support of the mission and goals of the school and University.
- Administrative (workload 50%) - Supervision and development of faculty, provide support for D3/D4 curriculum; support students in matriculation through the clinical education program, both directly and by working with, and in support of, clinical faculty and other administrators.
- Teaching (workload 30%) - Clinical supervision as a faculty in the CCU/SCUs; effectively carry out lecture, seminar, clinical assignments, student assessments.
- Service (workload 10%) - Participate in committees, faculty governance, professional societies and associations, and community events.
- Research & Scholarship (workload 10%) - As workload allows, establish and maintain activity in area of expertise.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice Dean of Clinical Affairs and Advanced Dental Education.
- Work with CCU, Specialty Care Unit Directors and the Vice Dean, Clinical Affairs and Advanced Dental Education to implement a system of monitoring and tracking student clinical experiences, clinic participation/attendance, and formative/summative assessments.
- Work with the course director of the Person-Centered Care Course, the CCU/SCU Directors, the Vice Dean, Clinical Affairs and Advanced Dental Education and the Vice Dean, Academic Affairs to assist with the coordination of D3/D4 clinical curriculum between the CCUs. In addition, work with the Vice Dean, Clinical Affairs and Advanced Dental Education and Director, Clinical Operations to assist preparations for the clinical licensure examination.
- Directly supervise all clinical faculty including CCU & SCU Directors and review and approve the evaluation of all clinical adjunct faculty annual performance evaluations which are conducted by CCU & SCU Directors. Present all annual performance reviews to the Vice Dean of Clinical Affairs and Advanced Dental Education for review and approval which will then be review and approved by the Dean. Work with the Director of Clinic Operations to assist in the management of the clinical faculty coverage schedule to provide adequate clinic supervision of students.
- Participate in clinical teaching by providing direct clinical supervision of dental services by students with their patients. Conduct seminars or didactic courses as assigned consistent with clinical knowledge and expertise.
- Support CCU & SCU Directors in providing guidance to students in achieving educational and professional goals and navigation of the clinical education system.
- Serve on standing and ad-hoc committees as assigned and be willing to participate in special projects and initiatives to advance academic, service, and research/scholarly activities excellence.
- Ensure best practices relating to quality patient care, support the Integrated Community Service Partnership, support the partnership between Affinia Heath Healthcare and MOSDOH and promote strong community relations.
- Lead by example and provide support, guidance, mentorship and advocacy for CCU/SCU Directors and adjunct clinical faculty.
- DMD/DDS or MS in dental specialty from a CODA-accredited program.
- Academic rank of associate professor or professor
- Minimum of 7 years in clinical dental practices as a general dentist or specialist
- Minimum of 7 years in dental education in predoctoral or graduate programs, with a demonstrated track record of teaching and service
- Minimum of 7 years of administrative experience with a demonstrated track record of managerial, mentoring and leadership skills
- Clinical dental practice as a general dentist or specialist; competencies of the general dentist; healthcare delivery systems
- Educational methodologies, formative and summative assessment utilized in dental schools
- Administrative / Management/ Supervisory / Leadership / Mentorship experience
- Experience with diversity and inclusion and working with underserved populations
- Knowledge of teaching, service, scholarly activities and community service and relations
- Knowledge and expertise in clinical dentistry
- Ability to communicate effectively to individuals and groups, both writing and orally
- Computer skills
- Ability to interact in an effective manner with individuals of diverse backgrounds including students, staff, faculty,
administration and external stakeholders
- Ability to effectively handle detail-oriented assignments and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to effectively deal with multiple responsibilities in an academic environment
- Independent problem solving skills
- Crisis management and ability to deescalate in a conflict or confrontation
- Ability to provide constructive feedback
- Ability to lead by example, be impartial and just
- Create opportunity for professional development and empowerment
- Be able to set clear goals and objectives
- Self-directed and takes initiative
- Calm and not prone to panic
- Independent thinking
- Problem solving
- Not phased by change
- Being a part of the solution to a problem
- Impartial and just
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively