Hudson County Community College
Position Vacancy Notice
(Posting date: 11/03/2020)
Hudson County Community College (HCCC) is an award-winning, comprehensive urban college serving one of the most historic and ethnically diverse areas of the United States. HCCC has three campuses located just minutes from Manhattan: the Journal Square campus in Jersey City and North Hudson Campus in Union City are adjacent to vital transportation hubs; the Secaucus campus has abundant parking.
Fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, HCCC serves more than 18,000 credit and non-credit students annually. The College offers more than 60 degree and certificate programs, including award-winning English as a Second Language, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics), Culinary Arts/Hospitality Management, Nursing and Health Sciences, and Fine and Performing Arts. The HCCC Culinary/Hospitality Management program was ranked number six in the U.S. by Best Choice Schools. Over 94% of HCCC Nursing program graduates passed the NCLEX first time out, placing the program’s graduates in the top tier of two- and four-year nursing programs nationwide. In 2017, the Equality of Opportunity Project ranked HCCC in the top 5% of 2,200 U.S. higher education institutions for social mobility. In 2019, the College joined Achieving the Dream as part of its expanding efforts towards continuous improvement in ensuring student success.
HCCC has partnerships with every major four-year college and university in the greater New Jersey-New York area and beyond, accommodating seamless transfer of credits for further undergraduate and graduate education.
The College has been recognized with numerous national and state awards for excellence in student success programming, diversity, and equity, educational innovativeness, facilities design, and communications from the Association of Community College Trustees, American Association of Community Colleges, Association of College and Research Libraries, National College Learning Association, National Council of Teachers of English, College Advertising Awards, New Jersey Business & Industry Association, and others.
Hudson County Community College is proud of its culture of care and invites applications from those wishing to join a community dedicated to promoting student success in all its forms.
The Division of Continuing Education and Workforce Development is an exciting and entrepreneurial office within the College, which offers a wide variety of non-credit classes, training courses, seminars, webinars, and pathways to a degree program for community members and businesses. These offerings are focused on revitalizing careers, upgrading skills and credentials, growing businesses, and pursuing pastimes and passions. Additionally, the HCCC Center for Business & Industry (CBI) is the area leader in developing and delivering educational classes and programs for Hudson County’s businesses, organizations, and individuals. Join a winning team focused on serving the educational training needs of the Hudson County community.
Position Summary/Job Description
Reporting to the Grant Project Director, the Financial Counselor provides direct services too low to moderate-income students who are enrolled as Financial Opportunity Center (FOC) participants. Financial counseling and coaching involve an ability to engage and motivate clients, a strong understanding of personal finances, and the ability to teach that knowledge to others. The financial counselor is responsible for assisting clients in developing plans of action that are intended to help the client reach their goals and achieve financial stability. The financial counselor is expected to focus services in a one on one counseling format. However, the counselor might also conduct classes and workshops on topics such as budgeting, credit building, and banking products. This is a full-time, grant-funded position.
- Provide one on one financial counseling/coaching
- Teach clients about the value of their services and engage the client in a long-term relationship
- Assist clients in resolving current financial situations, while providing a wide lens on their financial health to shift the approach to proactive financial management
- Work with clients to complete a very detailed financial assessment
- Work with the client to document a budget and provide strategies for budget improvements and debt reduction
- Access the client's credit report/score and provide strategies for credit building
- Document the client's balance sheet and provide strategies for increasing net worth
- Develop plans of actions and provide tools, resources, and accountability to the participant to help them meet their goals
- Understand other services offered by HCCC, such as employment services, income supports, counseling, and connect the clients to these other services, as needed
- Outcome tracking—track the stories and successes of program participants
- Use a client management system, to document and reflect the outcome of participants accurately and in a timely manner
- Complete financial assessment worksheets for financial counseling participants
- Work with the entire Hudson Helps Resource Services team to ensure that any changes to the participants status (new job, new benefit, change in credit score) is properly documented
- The financial counselor may conduct workshops as a means of outreach and education
- The classes may be part of a larger job readiness class offered by the FOC, or maybe occasional workshops to the public
- Develop workshop materials or tailor existing materials to meet the needs of the community
- Workshop topics should be relevant to the community and may include topics such as budgeting, savings, banking products, credit building, identity theft, and more.
- Develop relationships with local financial institutions and community organizations
- Work with mainstream financial institutions to understand the needs of the community so they can provide products and services that fit
- Create a network of referral organizations to help participants meet his/her goals (e.g. local housing counseling agency, legal aid, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree: required in any industry/field.
- 5 Years of Experience: A strong understanding of personal finances, particularly in the areas of budgeting, asset building, and credit building
- Previous work experience in the financial sector (banking, lending, insurance, investments) is a plus
- Bi-lingual preferred: Spanish / Arabic languages are a priority for the community.
- Technology Skills: To reach 100% of the student body, the department relies on technology to scale its efforts. We need individuals skilled in database management, spreadsheets, video conferencing, email management, word processing, electronic presentations, and knowledge of Salesforce.
- Engagement Skills: Previous work experience with students and/or low- or moderate-income individuals, and/or the ability to provide financial counseling/coaching services in a culturally sensitive manner. A good financial counselor can relate well to team members and clients
- Strategic Thinking: We are a culture of continuous improvement. Your thoughtful attention to program challenges, the contribution of ideas, having a vision, and setting goals are significant to the college’s growth.
- Excellent organizational, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
Closing Date of Applications
Posted until the position is filled
Review of applications to begin
For full consideration please send a resume, cover letter, salary expectations, and a list of three professional references to Madeline Carchia, Email: [email protected], Phone Number: (201)-360-5327.
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.
HCCC is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment. Decisions on employment are made on the basis of the qualifications of an individual for the particular position being filled. Women, veterans, and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Apply for Financial Counselor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly