Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We currently have a new and exciting opportunity for a Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. This role will build, strengthen and further define the diversity and inclusion strategy across our College. As a leader, champion, change agent and subject matter expert, the Director will help advance our efforts to cultivate an environment where everyone is welcomed, valued and included. The Director will work closely with our Diversity and Inclusion Committee and leaders across all areas of our organization to effectively leverage initiatives, resources and tools and track progress against ongoing strategic initiatives.
This is a full-time academic administrative position, reporting to the Dean, and serving on the college’s leadership team, which requires strong and dynamic leadership, exceptional judgment, superb communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with diverse individuals, constituencies, and communities.
The director will lead efforts to promote an inclusive and welcoming CVM climate for all students, staff, faculty, and clients. This will include coordinating efforts and being the liaison for various CVM units, student groups, and committees. A primary responsibility will be to ensure a safe, equitable, and inclusive environment so students, faculty, and staff from diverse and underserved backgrounds are drawn to the College.
Two key areas for this position include lead efforts to increase diversity and inclusion within the DVM educational program and graduate program and leading efforts to support a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the College, including faculty and staff.
• Partner with leadership team and the Diversity and Inclusion Committee to set the direction, manage and coordinate the diversity and inclusion strategies and initiatives.
• Develop, align, and integrate a range of new and existing initiatives, policies, and procedures into a cohesive platform that will foster a more inclusive, welcoming, supportive, and diverse faculty, staff and student community
• Track the progress of diversity and inclusion strategies against key metrics. Provide recommendations to focus activities and strengthen key deliverables such as recruitment, development, retention, and engagement.
• Benchmark external diversity and inclusion best practices to identify new ideas for developing diverse and inclusive cultures.
• Lead the design, facilitation and rollout of diversity and inclusion educational initiatives.
• Ensure diversity and inclusion topics are included in appropriate internal and external communications by developing strong internal networks and effective communication processes using formal and informal channels throughout the College and University.
• Develop and implement a community involvement strategy that builds strong relationships with internal and external organizations, involvement in community initiatives and events, and marketing the commitment to building a diverse and inclusive workforce and student body.
• Recommend policy, procedure, and structural improvements that remove barriers to faculty, staff and students success of marginalized and underserved communities.
•Work collaboratively with the University’s Office of Equity and Diversity to ensure that CVM efforts are aligned with University-wide policies, programs, and strategic initiatives. Coordinate and support the work of the CVM Diversity and Inclusion Committee and student organizations such as VOICE (Veterinarians as One Inclusive Community for Empowerment), SIRVS (Student Initiative for Reservation Veterinary Services) and VeTouch (Veterinary Treatment Outreach for Urban Community Health).
Applicants are asked to apply online at https://humanresources.umn.edu/content/find-job and attach a current resume (or cv) and cover letter. Job ID is 337995