Assistant Director of Recreation - Facility Operations and Membership Services
Assistant Director of Recreation - Facility Operations and Membership ServicesFull Time/Part Time:
Trudy Fitness CenterDepartment Statement:
Under the supervision of the Director of Recreation and Chair of Physical Education, the Assistant Director will provide leadership and oversight of all aspects of recreational facilities and member services within the Department of Recreation and Physical Education. Colgate University Recreation and Physical education programs are comprehensive and directly align with the institutional mission to develop the whole student. The department provides a broad range of services, education and expertise to a diverse community of students, staff, faculty, and community members.Accountabilities:
The Assistant Director is responsible for the effective organization, management, administration and supervision of all aspects of Colgate University’s recreational facilities and member services to include the following:
-Huntington Gymnasium (recreational courts and fitness/dance studios), Huntington Equipment and Member Services, Trudy Fitness Center, Lineberry Pool, Trap Range, Academy Rugby Field, Whitnall Field, Glendening Boathouse and Bewkes Waterfront Rec Center.
Responsible for the day-to-day operations of facility membership services (“Huntington Cage”). This includes memberships to the Huntington Rec Center, Trudy Fitness Center and Lineberry Pool. Accountabilities include:
- responsible for providing fair and accurate input to VP/Director of Athletics regarding employment status (hire, promotion, salary increases, termination) of full-time recreation attendants (2 non-bargaining unit employees). Responsible for the job evaluation, development and continued professional growth of direct reports, both full-time and part-time.
- effective hiring, supervision, training and scheduling of part-time and student staff.
- accurate and timely payroll for all staff.
- ensure accurate record keeping and accounting of all relevant aspects of facility operations.
- optimal sales policies and pricing.
- accurate and timely deposits of all money.
- effective oversight of all core operational tasks e.g. membership card production, locker room rentals and laundry service sign-ups, communication with members and broader community.
Responsible for the day-to-day operations and effective management of the Trudy Fitness Center and fitness programs to include the following accountabilities:
- ensure card swipe program and patron access function properly.
- determine hours of operation, equipment maintenance and optimizing investments in equipment.
- ensure positive relationships with key vendors. Ensure vendors perform up to expected standards. Ensure accurate purchase and service records.
- ensure positive customer services and relations.
- effective safety/risk management program and procedures for emergency care of participants; schedule training/certification classes in CPR/First Aid for employees; and conduct safety inspections of facilities and activities.
Responsible for oversight of the Personal Training Program. To include:
- effective hiring, supervision, training and scheduling of personal trainers.
- effective management and supervision of payroll for all trainers.
- ensure all personal training requests are filled and clients are appropriately matched with a personal trainer on staff.
- ensure payments are received and processed correctly for services.
- ensure client paperwork/waivers are completed prior to training.
- effective evaluation of trainers and ensuring they complete all paid training sessions with their respective client.
- responsible for effective marketing and promotion of the personal training program through print, online and social media avenues.
Responsible for assisting the Director of Recreation with recreational fitness programming. To include:
- group exercise class scheduling.
- Focus on Fitness (Employee Group Exercise program)
- fitness center orientations scheduling and instruction.
- effective implementation and oversight of annual physical activity promotion programs (i.e. ‘gate fit challenge and Empower Hour).
Responsible for the day-to-day operations and execution of specific operational tasks for Lineberry Natatorium. Accountabilities to include:
- effective recruiting, hiring, training, evaluating, payroll and management of the pool monitor staff and lifeguard staff.
- determine hours of operation, facility/equipment maintenance and optimizing investments in the facilities.
- ensure the facility and staffing are operating in compliance with NY State Department of Health and Colgate Environmental Health and Safety. Responsible for maintaining records and paperwork as required for pool operation safety.
- ensure facility maintenance problems, safety issues are reported in a timely manner.
- successful troubleshooting during events and open pool hours.
- act as liaison with on-campus departments (i.e. Parking Services, Campus Safety, Facilities Management, Custodial Services, Concessions, Special Events, Catering, Risk Management, etc.) to coordinate event/rental logistics.
- effective set-up/break down for all events, as assigned.
Responsible the effective management and operations of seasonal recreational facilities to include:
- Glendening Boathouse, Bewkes Waterfront Rec Center, Trap Range and Open Skate at Class of ’65 Arena.
■ effective hiring, supervision, training and scheduling of part-time and student staff.
■ effective establishment facility schedules and communicating hours of operation to the campus community.
■ ensure proper risk management for facilities and corresponding programs.
Responsible for maintaining operations budget for each recreation facility. Exercises independent discretion on all purchases and budgetary decisions for all recreational facility budgets.
Responsible for setting and meeting income targets for recreation facility membership and personal training sales.
Independent and unchallengeable decision-making regarding all student and adult participation in recreation facilities and activities.
Create and implement risk management policies and procedures for all recreation and physical education facilities. Effectively communicate all changes to staff and students, as needed.
Exercise independent judgment and discretion for all programming areas.
Ensure on-going participation data is properly recorded and incorporated into annual reports.
Responsible for the job evaluation, development and continued professional growth of all direct reports.
Responsible for the effective supervision of staff as assigned. Ensures selection and hiring of high quality employees; ensures appropriate distribution of work assignments and high quality of employee work product; ensures fair, accurate and timely performance assessments and feedback to include identifying areas for professional development and documenting and conducting disciplinary measures, as needed. Responsible for ensuring fair and accurate decisions regarding employment status (hire, promotion, salary increases, termination); ensures the creation of effective opportunities and programs for employee mentoring, development and sustained performance.
Accountable for maintaining personal compliance with all relevant governing bodies to include:
- specific conference
- athletic department
- university policies
Colgate Athletics Mission:
To be an inclusive community of competitive excellence
Athletics Department Values:
Thoughtful – Careful, reasoned, inclusive thinking
Driven – Relentless, energetic, focused pursuit of courageous goal
Enthusiastic – Passionate, positive, fun presence
Cohesive – Close—knit, collaborative, consistent teamwork
Bold – Creative, resourceful, fearless winners
This position has been designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), in accordance with the federal statutory requirements of the Jeanne Clery Act. CSAs are required to and responsible for reporting allegations of crimes they receive from students and employees to the Campus Safety Department.Name:
Demonstrated knowledge of Colgate managerial processes and requirements, to include:
Demonstrated ability to fairly and accurately assess employee performance in accordance with university practices. Demonstrated understanding of federal and state regulations, as they apply to the university policies and guidelines related to human resource s sufficient to effectively select new employees, recommend pay actions, determine employment status and initiate or approve employee changes in status.
Demonstrated ability to select, develop, and retain high performing work teams, to include:
Demonstrated ability to develop employee skills, performance, and behaviors. Demonstrated ability to effectively coach and communicate with employees on issues of pay, performance and development.
Demonstrated knowledge and ability to manage the day-to-day operations of a recreational aquatics facilities in compliance with the DOH and EHS. Proven understanding of aquatics trends and best practice in pool management. Demonstrated experience hiring, training and evaluating lifeguards. Demonstrated ability to manage aquatic events.Name:
Demonstrated ability to manage the day-to-day operations of a recreation and fitness facility. This includes facility supervision, staff hiring and scheduling, equipment maintenance, cleaning schedules and hours of operations. Proven understanding of the fitness industry trends and equipment. Demonstrated ability to manage risk associated with a fitness center facility and respective equipment within the facility.Name:
Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse population of students as an employee supervisor. Demonstrated knowledge and skills in managing and developing student employees and ensuring positive working relationship with students.Name:
Wellness and Fitness ProgrammingDescription:
Proven track record of creating, implementing and evaluating fitness and wellness programs for a college campus. This includes scheduling group exercise classes, fitness workshops/seminars, incentive programs and employee specific exercise promotion programs. One should have experience and knowledge in best practices in exercise promotion and programming. Knowledge of marketing strategies and planning.Name:
Demonstrated ability to management a facility and programing budget.Name:
Personal Accountability for ResultsDescription:
Takes responsibility for decisions, performance, and outcomes; behaves in a responsible manner with a positive attitude; shows self-awareness and openness to feedback.Name:
Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills; shares information and seeks input from others; adapts communication to diverse audiences; protects private and confidential information.Name:
Problem Solving and Decision MakingDescription:
Analyzes and prioritizes situations to identify and solve problems; generates solutions to improve efficiency and quality; involves others in solving problems and making decisions; factors organizational goals into decisions; makes clear, transparent, and timely decisions.Name:
Responds positively to changing university initiatives and readily adapts behavior to maintain effective performance; understands the long-term direction of the university and can relate this to departmental area; adapts to new methodologies; identifies and acts on areas where change is appropriate.Name:
Leadership and TeamworkDescription:
Applies skills and knowledge to provide a climate to achieve departmental and organizational success; balances individual and department goals; helps others perform at their best; builds productive relationships to enhance individual and organizational effectiveness; treats others with respect; resolves conflicts among team members.Name:
Creativity and InnovationDescription:
Generates, explores, encourages, and implements innovative ways of creating strategic value for the university, division, department, and individual level; critically assesses the effectiveness of new initiatives.Name:
Diversity and InclusionDescription:
Demonstrates respect for people and their differences; understands the benefits of a diverse workforce; earns the trust and respect of others; includes and welcomes others; works to understand the perspective of others; promotes opportunities to experience diversity within our community.Name:
Understands the impact of decision making and personal behavior in achieving the university’s commitment to a sustainable and carbon-neutral campus; supports and advances the university’s sustainability initiatives; influences others to use sustainable practices.Professional Experience/ Qualifications:
- Two years of experience in recreational facilities or a related field.
- Experience with aquatic facility supervision, including lifeguard certification (or willingness to acquire) is required.
- Candidates should possess excellent communication and collaboration skills, attention to detail, and proficiency managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Candidate must have the sensitivity and ability to work with the college age student, advise staff, develop and implement programs, produce effective outcomes, work effectively both individually and with groups, use independent judgment and display decision-making ability.
- Flexibility to adjust work schedule to meet the needs of students, staff, and facilities is necessary and will require attendance at evening and weekend events.
-Previous experience of successful supervision of others.
A Bachelor’s Degree is required.Certifications:
A current valid driver’s license, in accordance with the University’s Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy is required.
Certified Personal Trainer or Group Fitness certification, highly desirable.
Lifeguard Management and/or Water Safety Instructor certification highly desirable.Other Information:
Colgate University is committed to the principle of institutional control in administering its athletics program in a manner consistent with the NCAA, ECAC, and Patriot League rules. Each individual involved in the athletics division is obligated to maintain competency and knowledge of the rules, to act within his or her realm of responsibility in full compliance with the governing legislation, and to report any violation of NCAA, ECAC or Patriot League rules of which he or she is aware. Should a situation warrant further investigation, you have an affirmative obligation to cooperate full in the infractions process, including the investigation and adjudication of a case. The failure to do so can be grounds for your termination with cause.Requisition Number:
NoJob Open Date:
10/19/2020Open Until Filled:
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Clery Act:
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at [email protected]. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.