Mail Clerk - Student Mail Center
Mail Clerk - Student Mail CenterTracking Code700-674 Job Description
Reports to: Student Mail Center Manager
Description of Job: To provide efficient, accurate delivery of student mail for the university in a fashion that complies with postal regulations and with fiscal responsibility for the university. This position will also provide excellent guest services to all guests who come to the Student Mail Center.
• Accurately and efficiently sort letter mail, newspapers and small parcels to student units and Union departments.
• Logging parcels into Campus Mail Tracking System.
• Shelf packages in alpha order.
• Distribute mail and packages to departments and students, scanning ID for proper identification.
• Providing professional customer service for students, co-workers, departments, staff, faculty and the public as needed.
• Ask co-workers for help when needed and provide assistance in all areas of the mail center.
• Look up incorrectly addressed mail and packages using Datatel and place in correct unit(s) or forward per USPS regulations.
• Collect and process outgoing USPS, FedEx, and UPS from Union departments and students.
• Answer phones
• Organize and clean the Student Mail Center
• Emptying recyclable materials
• Complete administrative tasks to maintain accurate reports
• Closing units when students leave
• Assist in changing of mail unit lock
• Supervise student workers as needed
• High school diploma
• Must have a valid driver’s license and pass all University driving requirements to drive a University vehicle.
• Proficient in reading, computer, and cashier skills.
• Good internal and external customer service and communication skills including verbal, listening and written communication.
• The ability to lift and move up to 50+lb packages.
• Integrated computer services, basic computer skills, such as Microsoft Office, Excel and email.
• Ability to follow postal rules and regulations
• Operation of office equipment: phone, register, fax, copier, and printers.
• Demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
• Experience with Datatel, CMS, and other database systems is preferred.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
- Cover letter
- List of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
Please address cover letter to:
Ryan Bye, Associate Director of Operations, Harre Union, Student Activities, Conferences and Events
Valparaiso, IN 46383