Resident AdvisorRequisition Number:
1B450:Residence LifeWork Location:
Lexington, KYSalary Range:
$7.25 - $7.50 per hourType of Position:
StudentPosition Time Status :
In order to be eligible for the position, a candidate must:
1. Be a full time student, in good academic standing
2. Be enrolled in at least one course at the University of Kentucky if a BCTC student
3. Be in good disciplinary standing with the university
4. Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher by the end of the Fall 2020 semester
5. Be a sophomore, junior, or senior in the fall of 2021.
Days, Evenings, Nights, Weekends, On CallJob Summary:
Position to begin in August 2021
The Resident Advisor’s (R.A.‘s) primary responsibility is to help create an environment in the residence hall that contributes to students’ academic and personal success. Each R.A. is assigned to a floor, consisting of approximately 35-50 residents. R.A.s have numerous leadership roles, including peer counselors, educators, programmers, resource people, community builders, and authority figures.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Holding monthly floor community meetings
2. Meeting with residents one on one, once a month
3. Planning activities to support learning in the hall
4. Building a sense of shared community on the floor and within the hall
5. Attending and participating in weekly Tuesday night staff meetings
6. Attending regular one-on-one meetings with supervisor
7. Be on duty for the building and working the front desk on designated days
8. Being accessible to residents and fellow staff members
9. Attending and completing all job training as required by the department.
10. Be available to either open and/or close a residence hall for official university breaks.
11. Complete EDP 518 in the first semester of employment with a grade of C or better.
Candidates who become successful R.A.s share the following qualities:
1. Communication & listening skills
2. Ability to make mature and responsible decisions
3. Strong sense of self
4. Appreciation for and comfort with a diverse student population
5. Desire to help others
6. Ability to motivate others
7. Time management skills
8. Positive attitude
9. Team player
At least one semester of experience living on campus either in the UK residence halls or at a previous school.Deadline to Apply:
01/26/2021University Community of Inclusion:
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.