Inside Higher Ed (https://www.insidehighered.com), the leading source for news, commentary and analysis about higher education, is seeking an experienced, ambitious journalist to join its team of talented editors. In this position, the senior editor will directly oversee one of our small teams of reporters and report to the managing editor.
Inside Higher Ed engages in authoritative journalism that mixes news, enterprise and analysis, and its editors work closely with a team of reporters (with various experience and skills levels ranging from mid-career to beginners) to conceive, craft and perfect their stories (or at least make them really damned good).
Our editors must become national experts on higher education, but we don’t expect them to walk in the door that way. They must, however, have insatiable curiosity, an ability to connect dots, and a deep interest in the important issues facing the landscape we cover, including access, affordability and equity; financial pressures challenging all types of colleges and universities, especially in the wake of COVID-19 and the recession; intensifying battles over campus culture and free speech; efforts to maintain (and threaten) educational quality; and the changing nature and future of the faculty.
The job of the editor will include:
- Working with fellow editors and reporters to set daily and long-term editorial agendas for Inside Higher Ed.
- Supporting and, when needed, guiding a small group of reporters through the reporting, writing and editing process.
- Contributing as needed (or as desired by the successful candidate) with reporting and writing.
- Representing Inside Higher Ed in speaking engagements and at other events.
- Working with colleagues to develop new ways to produce and deliver high-quality content.
- Using and interpreting traffic and readership data to drive decisions about how best to serve our audience.
The successful candidates should have:
- At least five years of professional experience.
- A track record of getting the best out of reporters.
- Comfort with public speaking and representing an organization.
Inside Higher Ed publishes breaking news, features, commentary, blogs and other content each weekday, and has quickly established itself as a fresh, authoritative, independent voice for its 3.7 million unique monthly users and 180,000 daily e-mail subscribers.
Inside Higher Ed provides a competitive salary commensurate with experience as well as a generous slate of benefits, 401(k) match, and 18 days’ paid vacation. Our office is conveniently located in the heart of downtown D.C.; we are currently remote due to the pandemic and once things return to “normal” this position will work from our downtown D.C. office.
To apply, please email [email protected] with your resume, a cover letter outlining your interest in this role, and five strong clips.
Inside Higher Ed is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We are unable to sponsor for this position. No contract opportunities available.