Assistant Professor - Finance
Job no: 498095
Work type: Instructional Faculty – Tenured/Tenure-Track
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Finance/Accounting, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time, Faculty - Business/Management
The Department of Accounting & Finance seeks qualified candidates for a full-time, Assistant Professor rank position in Finance.
The Department is located in Silicon Valley, is home to a large community of scholars and students. We are a balanced Department, and are searching for candidates who share our dedication to both quality teaching and research. We teach broadly in the areas of accounting, accounting information systems, and finance, with graduate programs in Accountancy and Taxation. Our research includes analytical, behavioral, and applied methodologies and interests. For more information, visit our website.
- Possess a Ph.D. by start of appointment and be academically qualified under AACSB standards.
- For those with teaching experience, provide evidence of teaching excellence at the university level.
- Demonstrate an ability to work in a collegial atmosphere as part of a team.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
- Professional experience in Finance with CFA/FINRA licensure preferred.
- Primary disciplinary needs are in the areas of corporate finance and financial institutions. Secondary needs include real estate finance, business valuation, and financial analysis. Teaching assignments are at both the graduate and undergraduate levels in traditional and accelerated formats.
- Candidate must be actively engaged in scholarly activities evidenced by: publishing in peer-reviewed journals, presenting professional papers, and developing grants.
- Candidate will participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committee and other service assignments.
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Compensation - Commensurate with qualifications and experience. See Benefits Summary for details.
Starting Date - August 2021
Eligibility - Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
For full consideration, apply by December 13, 2020. Screening of candidates will begin January 4, 2021, but the position remains open until filled. Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- statement of teaching interests/philosophy that addresses your values, goals and beliefs regarding teaching and learning and how those align with a diverse and multicultural student body.
- research plans
- three references with contact information
Inquiries may be directed to the Department Chair, Dr. Elizabeth Grace at [email protected].
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked third nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Advertised: October 31, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled