Assistant Director for Research Services - Engineering IT Shared Services (137700)
Assistant Director for Research Services
Engineering IT Shared Services
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Engineering IT Shared Services at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks applicants for the Assistant Director for Research Services position. We are the IT services provider for the nationally-ranked Grainger College of Engineering, providing services for teaching, research, and learning. Our mission is to be a trusted academic partner in support and service to over 1,100 faculty and staff, and over 10,000 students. We pride ourselves on a customer-centric approach, with emphasis on effectiveness, transparency, and accountability to furnish innovative solutions to the needs of a college dedicated to ingenuity.
You will enjoy energetic and challenging work running and supporting our IT services, along with a transparent and respectful work environment built upon partnerships, collaboration and teamwork. We care deeply about supporting the growth of our employees and invest in employee development through mentorship, cross-functional teams, and professional development and career-advancement opportunities.
Engineering IT Shared Services values employees who are able to work autonomously and on a team with integrity, honesty, comfort with ambiguity, and a growth mindset. Individuals that demonstrate commitment and determination in their work will find this a rewarding and supportive environment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
The Assistant Director for Research Services position oversees the operations of the Research Services group of Engineering IT Shared Services. The Research Services team serves the entire College of Engineering and is responsible for: unit and group research IT needs, including high performance computing support, laboratory and cleanroom technology, and liaising other research resources to the College of Engineering. This position may be assigned as a Customer Relationship Manager to various College units or constituent groups, and reports dirctly to the Director, Engineering IT Shared Services.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
Leadership and Strategy: 40%
- Research new services and technologies that may improve the service offerings of the division.
- Represent the organization in Engineering IT faculty governance related to research IT.
- Stay abreast of peers and national trends in the use of technology in research.
- Advise the Associate Dean for IT and Director of Engineering IT on tactical and strategic issues related to research technology.
- Partner with individual units within the College to advance their research objectives through technology.
Management of the division: 30%
- Hire and supervise staff assigned to division, including the assignment of work, evaluation of performance, recommendation of salary, and handling of employee relations issues.
- Manage services assigned to division, including resourcing, costing, and service quality oversight.
- Develop and maintain standards, policies, and procedures covering the work of the division.
- Identify resources needed for current and future projects and work with the Director and the other members of the Engineering IT Leadership team to obtain needed resources.
- Coordinate with campus IT groups and organizations on shared service offerings.
Lead and Contribute to organization-wide objectives: 15%
- Serve as sponsor for standing cross-functional teams of staff for specialized service areas (eg. security, endpoint management, customer relations, etc).
- Lead and / or sponsor projects and temporary work teams to accomplish defined objectives outside of normal scope of the division.
- Participates on campus, Big Ten Academic Alliance, and national committees or initiatives that benefit the research mission.
Customer Relationship Management: 10%
- Act as a liaison to assigned College units in the role of Customer Relationship Manager to pro-actively develop and maintain good working relationships between units and Engineering IT.
- Serve as a representative and liaison between Engineering IT and other campus IT organizations to maintain positive working relationships and to develop partnerships.
Other duties as assigned: 5%
- Bachelor’s degree
- Eight (8) years’ professional experience in IT or research which must include: (years’ experience may run concurrently)
- Four (4) years’ supervisory experience
- Three (3) years’ experience with the responsibilities of the division
- Three (3) years’ experience working with customers
- Experience in participating in diverse workgroups
- Master’s Degree counts as one (1) year professional experience.
- Experience with professional development and career advancement of staff
- Experience with customer relationship management in a professional capacity
- Demonstrated competence hiring, managing, and disciplining professional staff
- Proven ability of project leadership with mixed teams to accomplish goals at 6+ months
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize project management skills
- Proven ability to work with people across organizational boundaries to accomplish projects and goals
- Ability to communicate effectively about team and services in both written and verbal formats to a variety of audiences
- Proven record of excellent customer service skills; ability to inspire service excellence in staff
- Ability to think critically and propose service and structural changes to improve performance within and between teams
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities
- Ability and desire to work in a collaborative team environment
- Demonstrated technical aptitude and understanding of information technology best practices
- Advanced business analysis, project management, and/or planning skills or certification
- Demonstrated excellence in presentation skills on a variety of subjects to diverse audiences
- Demonstrated capacity for advanced strategic thinking in the area of IT service provision, particularly in Higher Education
- Familiarity with the technical requirements of compliance with HIPAA or FERPA
- Familiarity with campus computing environments at Illinois or other Higher Education institution
- This position requires the ability to work under the pressure of time limits. The person in this position must often take initiative or act on limited information under broad direction. Work often requires meetings and cooperation with a variety of individuals including but not limited to faculty, and staff, and students.
- Work is performed in an office setting where there are no unusual risks. The office environment is comfortable and excellent equipment is available for the tasks to be performed. Light travel between buildings is required for meetings and site visits.
- Some work outside of the traditional office hours will be required.
- The person in this position will have many face-to-face contacts, including with College and Campus leaders. Since the attitude and appearance of the person in this position will reflect on the office which operates in a business environment, it is important to dress appropriately. Dress should be suitable for client interaction.
The Assistant Director for Research Services position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by November 12, 2020. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Kelsey Krok at [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit “Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.” As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Engineering Category:8-Technical Title:Assistant Director for Research Services - Engineering IT Shared Services (137700) Open Date:10/29/2020 Organization Name:Engineering IT Shared Services