Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
Job DetailsLevel SeniorJob Location Wheeling University - Wheeling, WVPosition Type Full TimeEducation Level Graduate DegreeSalary Range UndisclosedTravel Percentage NegligibleJob Shift UndisclosedJob Category ExecutiveDescription
Wheeling University, a Catholic university, seeks qualified applicants for a Vice President & Chief Financial Officer (VP). The VP leads the division of financial support functions across campus and manages the University’s annual budget and investments. The VP ensures fiscal management and business operating standards are applied as best practices across the campus. As a member of the President’s Cabinet, the VP works collaboratively with University leadership to fulfill the mission, ensure financial stability and promote an environment of continuous improvement. Successful candidates must be committed to the academic success of the students and be able to support and promote the University's Mission.
The Vice President & Chief Financial Officer (VP)
Areas of responsibility for the Vice President & Chief Financial Officer include the following:
• Financial Management
• Business Affairs
• Investment Management
• Compliance Leadership
• Budget Development
Reporting to the President, the Vice President & CFO will:
• Provide leadership and vision for all departments and support functions under the VP’s
• Work collaboratively to develop, maintain and implement Wheeling University’s multi-year
strategic plan and financial management plan.
• Formulate and communicate short-term and long-range goals for assigned divisions that reflect
the Strategic Plan and Mission.
• Primarily and independently be responsible for developing, monitoring, and adjusting the budget
and finances of the University including, but not limited to, budget management, financial
administration, tax preparation, audit management, treasury, and debt management.
• Responsible to analyze various business, financial, treasury, and budget matters making
recommendation/solutions to the President, the President’s Council, and department heads for
resolution and future consideration.
• Promote a culture of data-informed assessment and evaluation across all assigned areas of
• Responsible to ensure financial practices, policies, and procedures are in compliance with all
federal and state mandates, communicated to the campus community, and published in the
University Compliance Program.
• Represent the University and interact with auditors, members of the business community
and other external business and finance related operations.
• Other duties may be assigned by the President, or designee.
• MBA, or master’s degree in finance, business or related field of study preferred
• Seven (7) to ten (10) years financial experience at a senior level.
• An understanding of the culture of a college campus, or ability to obtain.
• Ability to work constructively and effectively within the academic community.
• An effective, balanced, and collaborative leadership style that combines a capacity for
strategic vision with technical experience in financial management.
• Adherence to strong ethical principles of financial management.
• Experience in higher educations administration or similar industry (healthcare, non-
• Experience in facilities administration and/or capital budgeting.
• Experience or knowledge of Human Resource practices.
• Interest in, and commitment to, community engagement.
Interested candidates may apply and submit the required documents listed below by visiting https://
www.wju.edu. The search committee will begin reviewing applications and continue to do so until the
position is filled; however, application materials received within 2 weeks of the posting date will receive priority
Upon visiting our employment site, please include the following documents: Cover Letter; Resume/CV; and names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Confidential Inquires and questions may be sent to:
David G. Tomanio, PhD
Interim Director, Human Resources
Email: [email protected]