Graduate Research Assistant/ SMSS- Motivating interest & Academic Choices in Math
1. Currently admitted to the Graduate School
2. Be in good academic standing
3. Be registered full-time for the respective semester (nine semester credit hours during the fall
semester, nine semester credit hours during spring semester, six semester credit hours during the
summer session(s)), or in the required number of semester credit hours to fulfill the only remaining requirements on the degree plan.
In this job you will work as a team to:
1. Supervise and collaborate with a team of undergraduate student assistants to create math social media content and deliver live presentations to high school students.
2. Collect and analyze both quantitative and qualitative research data.
3. Other duties as assigned in support of the FMIM project, including, but not limited to, participating in required training activities, attending meetings, conducting literature reviews, help prepare progress reports, etc.
We are hiring up to 2 enthusiastic graduate student research assistants to conduct research and community outreach activities in mathematics. You will work with other college students and share your enthusiasm in mathematics with local high school students. You will be working on the “Follow Me Into Math!” (FMIM) project funded by the National Science Foundation (DRL- 2006067). This job will give you experience in mathematics digital content development. In addition, you will develop your skills in teaching, mentoring, and educational social media. The research assistants will have the opportunity to collaborate in presentations, help analyze data, as well as contribute to publications.
The research assistants will receive all the necessary trainings. During the 2020-21 academic year work will be done remotely due to COVID-19 precautions. Work schedule is flexible to fit around class schedule. There will be regular Zoom meetings.
The Graduate Assistant position is available to full-time graduate students, preferably those in good academic standing. Additional preferred qualifications are:
1. Experience working on research projects, including input, management, and cleaning/processing of data, as well as some exploratory data analysis.
2. Experience in using social media and/or digital media production.
UTRGV is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status. UTRGV takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.Open Date08/31/2020Special Instructions to Applicants
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
*Social Security Number
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission.
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.Quick Linkhttp://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/25615Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Unofficial Transcripts