Community Development Program Manager
Job location: College at Wise (Wise, VA)
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-10-28
Administrative Generalists are responsible for a variety of professional level work across a composite of administrative service areas including budget, finance, procurement, human resources, academic administration, student services, communications, grants and research administration, space and facilities and/or high-level operational support. They act on behalf of a program, function, or department, and may report to a unit administrator. Responsibilities and authority are equivalent to other exempt Generalists across Grounds, such as Finance Generalists, HR Generalists, Student Services Generalists, but Administrative Generalists assume a breadth of responsibilities across multiple functions. Administrative Generalists are distinguished from Coordinators by the requirement for specialized education or experience to perform the essential functions of the job. The primary focus is on delivery of professional services, which may include project management, compliance, administrative program creation and oversight, training, analysis, and research and contract administration. This is a professional level title, not intended for those performing direct administrative support. This position may also serve in a supervisory capacity.
The University of Virginia's College at Wise invites applications for a Community Development Program Manager for the Office of Economic Development & Strategic Initiatives. The Office of Economic Development & Strategic Initiatives serves Southwest Virginia communities, citizens, and employers to support our region's vitality through economic development, education, entrepreneurship, innovation, health and wellness. Our service and support extend to UVA Wise students, faculty and staff, professionals including those in economic development as well as organizations, employers, and citizens of the region. In fulfilling this mission, UVA Wise also serves as the support organization for the Commonwealth's GO Virginia program.
The Community Development Program Manager coordinates and oversees programs which build capacity within communities throughout Southwest Virginia. Working with community teams, the program manager co-creates opportunities to engage community members, students, faculty and staff to build ecosystems which enhance leadership capacity, supports downtown revitalization, and supports the growth of small businesses and entrepreneurship activity. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate and manage community outreach programming to include conducting needs assessments with stakeholders; tailor leadership development approaches and coordinate logistics of community meetings
- Facilitate community team conversations to identify meaningful and visible projects; provide project management support for implementation
- Facilitate community self-assessment of small business and entrepreneurship ecosystem; incorporate entrepreneurship and business support aspects into community development programming
- Manage program, grant and organizational budgets, completing monthly budget reconciliations adhering to proper procurement protocols and regulations
- Establish, develop and maintain effective working relationships with regional and state stakeholders
- Contribute to the design and delivery of regional leadership development programs such as SWVA Rise and annual community coaching summits
- Promote programs; actively engage community groups to include chambers of commerce, civic organizations and other regional networks
- Implement effective means of engaging students, faculty and staff in community development projects and programs which align with service learning objectives
- Apply for and manage grants which includes application and budget development, project management, monitoring and reporting
- Capture and communicate stories resulting from Rally and entrepreneurship activities through multimedia channels to include social media, websites and annual reports
- Maintain accurate and timely reports; reports progress on projects, monitoring until complete
- Promote and market community development program as well as other college programs throughout the region
- Perform all duties and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner in accordance with established organizational policies to achieve the overall objectives of this position
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required or assigned
A bachelor's degree in business administration, marketing, or communication required; master's degree preferred, along with at least three years' experience in business, economic or community development or small business and entrepreneurial support. Additional qualifications include:
- Ability to develop and manage multiple projects and multiple deadlines
- Ability to market programs and successfully outreach to community and potential clients
- Strong interpersonal skills: honesty, integrity, dedication, loyalty, personable, approachable, and respectful
- Responsible: must be dependable, respect confidentiality, flexible, self-starter, self-motivated with an entrepreneurial spirit and a team player
- Flexibility: ability to work flexible hours including frequent evenings and occasional weekends
- Computer skills: proficient with Windows (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Office Exchange) and competent internet usage
- Excellent client service skills
- Outreach and communications: excellent grammar, written, listening skills and presentation skills; expertise in multiple social media platforms
- Goal oriented: team player; supportive; success-minded; eager to learn/contributes to productive work environment; encouraging, optimistic, works hard to achieve goals, ability to think creatively
- Problem solving: ability to think independently; take ownership of problem and negotiate solutions
To apply, please visit https://hr.virginia.edu/careers-uva/job-openings. UVA Wise is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. UVA Wise is committed to helping the campus community provide for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report containing information on campus security and personal safety, including alerts, fire safety, crime prevention tips, and crime statistics is available at www.uvawise.edu/ASR. A copy is available upon request by calling 276-328-0190 or 276-376-3451.
Employee fulfills duties as a "responsible employee" under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Responsible employee includes any employee: who has the authority to take action to redress sexual violence; who has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual violence or any other misconduct by students to the Title IX Coordinator or other appropriate school designee; or whom as student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
Education: Bachelor's degree
Experience: At least three years of experience.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.