Electrician IPosition Number:
Under general supervision of the departmental director or Senior/Master electricians, assist in the repair and installation of electrical systems and related facility maintenance work of moderate difficulty.Typical Duties/Job Duties:
1. Reads work orders or receives instructions from supervisor or senior electricians concerning assignments or projects and completes task in efficient and timely manner.
2. Troubleshoots and repairs electrical circuits.
3. Locates inoperative lighting and determines type of lamp or bulb needed; uses ladder or lift equipment, if necessary, to reach and repair light fixtures; replaces fluorescent, HID, mercury-vapor, and incandescent lamps, as required.
4. Utilizes test equipment such as multi-meter to determine the presence of electrical power and proper grounding; utilizes hand tools such as screwdrivers, drills, and saws.
5. Replaces fuses, photoelectric cells, timers, and ballasts, as needed; replaces faulty wiring in electrical systems.
6. Installs new light fixtures, switches, and electrical outlets, following manufacturer instructions and NEC code requirements.
7. Replaces faulty light switches, electrical outlets, fire alarm devices, detectors, and electrical appliance motors; installs and repairs a variety of kitchen equipment and appliances; installs power distribution systems, such as raceways, conduits, and bus ways.
8. Performs preventative maintenance on electrical distribution equipment.
9. Communicates in a professional, service-oriented manner with staff, faculty, and others contacted in the course of work.
10. Performs after hour, holiday and weekend repairs on a rotating on call schedule and as needed in the event of emergencies. Supports university events after hours and weekends on a rotating schedule.
11. Performs other duties as assigned
• Knowledge of electricity, electrical maintenance practices and procedures and NEC code;
• Knowledge of the use of common hand tools such as screwdrivers, drills, and saws;
• Knowledge of basic test equipment used in this position;
• Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the building maintenance occupation and specifically electrical safety;
• Knowledge and ability to follow University policies and procedures;
• Ability to troubleshoot and repair electrical devices and systems;
• Ability to perform basic electrical and related building maintenance work in a variety of climatic conditions;
• Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and complete work as assigned;
• Ability to read, understand and utilize installation and maintenance instructions;
• Ability to utilize ladders and lifts and work up to 50 feet above ground;
Completion of a recognized electrician apprenticeship or trade/vocational school program. Five years of journey level electrician experience.
State of Texas journeyman’s electrician license required.
Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and have a driving record acceptable to the University’s insurance company.
Must pass a background check.Physical Requirements:
Requires sitting, standing, walking, bending over, stooping, twisting, talking, hearing, climbing ladders, using stairs, reaching overhead, crouching, kneeling or crawling. Pushing or pulling 10-50 lbs, lifting 10-80 lbs, carrying 10-50 lbs, repetitive use of arms and legs, driving, balancing, manual dexterity-fine manipulation or grasping.EEO Statement:
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at [email protected].Posting Number:
10/28/2020Open Until Filled: