Assistant Hospital Director of Finance - Veterinary Teaching Hospital (134582)
Assistant Hospital Director of Finance
College of Veterinary Medicine-Veterinary Teaching Hospital
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Assistant Hospital Director of Finance will direct and manage the business operations of the Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH), providing leadership and direction regarding hospital finances which impact strategic investment and operational decisions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Budget and Account Management:
- Oversee all Veterinary Teaching Hospital assets and funds, ensuring sound fiscal management.
- Develop and implement policies related to financial management within the hospital.
- Lead the annual budget process for the VTH. Develop and implement budgetary strategies and evaluation metrics to ensure budget goals are met. Coordinate the year-end closing process, addressing deficits and carryover projections.
- Oversee the preparation of VTH financial statements on a monthly basis. Analyze variances of actual performance to VTH budget.
- Advise clinical services on the development of business plans, creating financial models, and analyzing feasibility of strategic goals. Work with services throughout VTH to develop consistent processes around recognizing revenue and costs that allow for accurate and timely financial reporting.
- Direct responses to VTH budget requests, determining appropriate allocation of financial resources and serving as an expert on allowability of fund usage.
- Facilitate adjudication of individual accounts eligible for teaching, research, gift or discretionary adjustments. Ensure that all such adjustments are administered in accordance with VTH and University policies and guidelines.
- Direct revenue cycle integrity (including charge capture) and ensure reliable financial management systems. Review prices in health information system to ensure cost to VTH is appropriately recovered. Work with services to oversee process of charge capture and where process variations arise.
- Oversee patient billing and collection processes. Develop and maintain efficient collections and management systems for accounts receivable. Identify issues that arise during patient discharge that cause balances due and develop new policies and procedures that promote the success of collection efforts. Monitor deleted charges from client accounts.
- Oversee VTH research discount process. Manage processing of JVs to record discount for research projects in the VTH.
- Manage the reconciliation of the hospital clearing account.
- Oversee and approve all VTH purchasing and contracts.
Financial Analysis and Reporting:
- Monitor, analyze and report VTH financial metrics to the VTH Director including all revenue, costs, cash flow and expenditures.
- Understand and interpret historical trends of financial metrics and how they impact current operations to provide comparative trend analysis. Make recommendations regarding financial operations.
- Develop and implement financial forecasting models to support business plans and major capital investments in collaboration with the College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Coordinate development and analysis of management reports/dashboard to integrate hospital information system data with university accounting data (EDW, Banner, Vetstar).
- Coordinate internal and external audits as needed.
Management of VTH Business Operations:
- Hire, manage and evaluate the VTH Business Service Center staff and processes.
- Supervise daily operations of business functions within the VTH. Maintain an understanding and optimize efficiency of all business transactions.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for all operating systems and processes, such as handling the daily cash and credit card sales, are followed in accordance to the guidelines set by University OBFS policies.
- Serve as member of the VTH Administrative Team and attend VTH Board meetings.
- Represent the VTH and serve as a liaison to the college-level and campus-level budget offices.
- Other related duties as assigned or in collaboration with the VTH Hospital Director and/or the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Position Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, management or a field related to position.
- Three years of professional-level accounting, managerial and/or business experience, including one year at an administrative level.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising and managing staff.
- Experience in performing financial analyses, data collection and reporting of finance-related data.
- Master's degree in business or related field
- Prior experience managing financial operations in a veterinary hospital
- Expertise with University of Illinois and/or College of Veterinary Medicine financial systems
Successful candidates will also have:
- Ability to apply accounting principles in the interpretation of data elements to determine the appropriate data to be used in calculations or reporting.
- Ability to gather facts and apply this knowledge to solve complex problems.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently, exercise good judgment, and make sound decisions.
- Excellent mathematical and financial skills for financial analysis, forecasting and decision support.
- Excellent organizational skills are required.
- Expertise in Excel and the ability to quickly adapt to new technologies, software, and databases as they relate to the financial and reporting needs of the unit.
- Understanding of University policies and procedures.
- Firm sense of responsibility and good attendance.
Normal office setting. Allergies to hay, straw or animal dander may cause discomfort based on the location within the College of Veterinary Medicine.
Salary and Appointment Information
The Assistant Hospital Director of Finance position is a full-time, benefits-eligible Civil Service Business/Administrative Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Applications must be received by November 11, 2020. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile prior to submitting your application materials. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification.
To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload the following documents:
- cover letterresume (months and years of employment must be included)academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or copy of diploma may be acceptable) for all degrees attainednames/contact information for three references
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button.
Applications not submitted at http://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Human Resources Service Center at [email protected]. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior EmploymentCollege Name or Administrative Unit:Veterinary Medicine Category:2-Administrative Title:Assistant Hospital Director of Finance - Veterinary Teaching Hospital (134582) Open Date:10/28/2020 Close Date:11/11/2020 Organization Name:Veterinary Teaching Hospital