Bioprocessing Pilot Plant Specialist - Integrated Bioprocessing Research Laboratory, Department...
Bioprocessing Pilot Plant Specialist
Integrated Bioprocessing Research Laboratory, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering ?
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Be a part of our story. WE TRANSFORM LIVES. Everything we do is designed to improve the quality of life of the people in the state of Illinois, across the nation, and around the world. We discover, develop, translate, and disseminate knowledge to address societal concerns and train the next generation of experts and leaders in a way that empowers them to expand the boundaries of science to higher levels or understanding and influence.
The Integrated Bioprocessing Research Laboratory (IBRL) is leading the way in food and bioprocessing research, teaching, and scale-up activities. Our facilities include over 50,000 sq. ft. of recently constructed and modernized pilot plant, laboratory, and collaborative space filled with over $15M in pilot-scale processing equipment. Our clients range from start-up businesses to Fortune 500 companies in addition to our work supporting major federal research grants, traditional classes, and continuing education opportunities for industry. We are continually adding new capabilities to our program and are excited to build upon our excellent staff through a strategic hire.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
The Major Duties and Responsibilities related to this position are:
- Supervise and perform the day-to-day research, operations, and safety oversight of the IBRL-PPP and laboratory. Schedule and prepare for research trials by students, faculty, and outside researchers.
- Serve within a team of research specialists with responsibilities for operating and maintaining all food and bioprocessing research equipment in facility. Ensure equipment is available and ready for use.
- Provide expertise to faculty, students, and outside users performing research to ensure safe and successful use of facility equipment, including coordinating without outside contractors as necessary.
- Assist with certain business functions including but not limited to: managing allocated budgets/resources and projecting future needs, consumable supplies ordering, and inventory tracking and property accounting.
- Develop and implement technical training in the areas of equipment operation, safety, and research methodology/data analysis as it pertains to IBRL-PPP scale-up and testing.
- Oversee research equipment and light facility repairs in the IBRL-PPP and laboratory. Make recommendations for facility and equipment repairs, improvements, and upgrades.
- Maintain IBRL-PPP to GMP standards. Assist in creation of and enforce written operating and safety procedures for IBRL. Participate in any inspections or audits as required.
- Coordinate with other IBRL technical specialists on activities in the facility. Maintain general knowledge of procedures and equipment to serve as backup to other members on team.
- Pursue ongoing professional development. Stay abreast of developing processing technologies, industry product trends, and safety programs.
- Represent IBRL at conferences, meetings, and other related activities as requested.
- Serve as backup 24/7 emergency contact for Public Safety and Facilities & Services
- Other duties as assigned
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Technical Systems Management, Chemical Engineering, Food Science, Biology, or closely related field
Preferred: Master’s Degree in Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Technical Systems Management, Chemical Engineering, Food Science, Biology, or closely related field
Required: 1-3 years of work experience operating food or bioprocessing equipment. 1-3 years of work experience in supervising and training others. Experience in forming and maintaining professional relationships in an academic and corporate environment
Preferred: 3+ years of experience working in a food or bioprocessing pilot-scale or production facility. 2+ years of experience operating industrial fermentation or extrusion equipment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge and understanding of common food, chemical, and bioenergy industry processing techniques, GMPs, plant safety, and pilot scale processing equipment. Ability to maintain, troubleshoot, and repair industrial processing equipment. Knowledge of/experience with research principles, research methodology, and analyzing/interpreting research data. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
The Bioprocessing Pilot Plant Laboratory Specialist position is a 100% full time, benefits-eligible professional position. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by November 15, 2020. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Ronda Sullivan at [email protected] or at 217-244-9528.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.College Name or Administrative Unit:ACES Category:6-Research Title:Bioprocessing Pilot Plant Specialist - Integrated Bioprocessing Research Laboratory, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering (137673) Open Date:10/28/2020 Organization Name:ABE-IBRL