Research Associate (Post-Doctoral Fellow)
Position DetailsJob TitleResearch AssociatePosition TitleResearch Associate (Post-Doctoral Fellow)Position NumberJob CategoryUniversity FacultyJob TypeFull-TimeFLSA StatusExemptCampusMaywood-Health Sciences CampusLocation CodeSURGERY (06740A)Department NameSURGERYIs this split and/or fully grant funded? YesDuties and Responsibilities
A Research Associate (“post doc”) position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Fernandez in the Department of Surgery, Loyola University Chicago. The successful applicant will
•Coordinate the preparation of reagents and equipment necessary for the Isolation of Human Islet.
•Participate in the Isolation, culture, and distribution of Human Islets during weekdays, weekends, and holidays.
•Coordinate and Execute quality control assessment on Islet production and distribution.
•Maintain an Islet Isolation Log and complete the registration of data on the IIDP database.
•Maintain and order reagents, solutions and supplies for the laboratory.
- Manage and execute complex experiments and technical procedures as directed by the Principal Investigator involving animal surgeries, tissue, or cell cultures and making direct experimental measurements from the following experimental design.
- Maintain and be responsible for coordinating experimental design in large and small animals. Maintain database and records associated with animal care and Assist with writing IACUC protocols.
- Independently perform experimental techniques and operate specialized equipment required to complete projects. May set up experimental design and lab techniques. May draft abstracts, manuscripts, and posters for publication and/or presentation.
- the incumbent is expected to learn and master to perform measurements using a High Respirometry for the measurements of mitochondria metabolism on cells and tissues.
-Perform literature searches on computers and retrieve literature from the library. -Develop specific protocols and methodologies for new experiments.
- Assist with inventory of essential lab supplies and responsibility for ensuring necessary items are available. Assist with orderly records of purchases. Ensure maintenance of equipment and more sophisticated lab instruments. Serve as liaison to vendors for purchasing new and maintaining existing equipment.
- Ensure the lab environment complies with safety regulations and assumes responsibility for safety in the lab. Maintain a safe and orderly lab environment.
- Implement experiments and perform lab techniques specific to the lab and by direction from the Principal Investigator
- Primary authority in training new lab personnel, assigning, and checking work. May train and provide oversight of medical and graduate students and other lab users.
- Perform other duties as required.
Candidates must be fluent in English, both written and verbal fluency is preferred. Candidates who are citizens or permanent residents of the USA may be eligible to participate in a NIAAA-funded T32 training grant in alcohol research held by the Loyola University BSTRI.Physical DemandsStanding, Repetitive MotionsWorking ConditionsVentilation, Odors, AnimalsMinimum Education and/or Work Experience
Candidates must possess an MD or PhD in molecular or cellular biology, pharmacology, immunology or related discipline.Open Date10/20/2020Close DateSpecial Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://www.careers.luc.edu/postings/14396Job Number8550307Organizational LocationHEALTH SCIENCES CAMPUSPosting DetailsNumber of Vacancies1Desired Start Date12/01/2020Position End DateOpen Until FilledYesApplicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Do you have experience working with rodent models or alcohol abuse and orthpaedic trauma?