Analyst - Surveys
New York, NY
Ithaka S+R is a non-profit research and consulting service. Our growing team offers unique opportunities for your research skills and project management talent to play a vital role in helping the academic and cultural communities serve the public good and navigate economic, technological, and demographic change.
Team members conduct and publish major research projects and consult with higher education leaders, academic libraries, scholarly publishers, learned societies, and museums. We help these organizations better support scholarship, instruction, community engagement, and student success by empowering them to gather and effectively utilize evidence that supports strong decision-making about strategic direction and service offerings. Our team has methodological expertise in survey research, ethnography, and other qualitative methods, as well as deep relationships with the communities we serve.
As a Senior Analyst with an emphasis on surveys and quantitative research, you will work collaboratively on research projects that lead to publications including grant-funded research and large-scale national surveys in various parts of the higher education sector. You will also work on projects for individual colleges, universities, and other academic and cultural organizations. Responsibilities of this role include designing and administering institutional and large-scale surveys, analyzing quantitative and qualitative datasets, drafting reports and presentations, appending and cleaning datasets, and conducting desk research, with significant responsibility for high-quality, on-time completion.
Affiliated with our New York office and currently working remotely with the possibility of long-term or permanent remote work, you will be an integral member of Ithaka S+R, taking day-to-day responsibility for our most important projects. This position will report to the manager for surveys and research.
- Research and analysis
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research, including:
- Survey design and administration
- Descriptive and inferential statistical analysis (including t-tests, ANOVAs, chi-square tests, correlations, regressions, etc.)
- Large-scale data gathering from multiple sources
- Interviewing, observation, and other qualitative methods
- Transcript coding and content analysis
- Provide logistical support for research efforts, such as collecting and maintaining data, arranging interviews, managing relationships, and utilizing survey management and data analysis tools
- Conduct desk research, utilizing existing secondary research sources such as market research data to address key research questions and inform our understanding of the community
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research, including:
- Reporting and communications
- Write emails, memos, reports, and briefs to clearly communicate concepts and processes to internal and external stakeholders, including non-academic audiences
- Design compelling mechanisms for tracking and presenting quantitative analyses
- Communicate findings and recommendations via written and oral presentations to staff and clients at conferences and webinars
- Represent Ithaka S+R at conferences, networking events, and client engagements
- Project management
- Independently develop and maintain project plans and keep individuals, teams, and collaborators on track to meet deadlines
- Coordinate and track activities of numerous stakeholders across multiple institutions and propose ideas for process improvement
- Design tools and resources to effectively distill and act on information gathered through regular communication with stakeholders
- Take responsibility for selecting appropriate tools and methods to suit projects constrained by timeline and/or budget
- Develop strong relationships with internal and external partners
- Organize and participate in brainstorming sessions to generate ideas and discuss project strategy
- Support the development of detailed project proposals and research plans
- Maintain awareness of major community issues that may impact our projects
- When COVID-19 related travel restrictions are no longer in place, some travel required for research, reporting, and representation purposes - approximately 5-10%
Experience and Skills
Any combination of professional experience, volunteer work, coursework, and other transferable skills may be applied toward these qualifications.
- Master’s degree in a field that requires strong writing and analytic skills, with an excellent academic record.
- Two years of relevant full-time research experience.
- Experience with statistical analysis and associated software (e.g., SAS, STATA, SPSS, and/or R).
- Experience managing complex projects, setting agendas and leading meetings, and communicating with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize and manage your own work, perform well under pressure, and meet deadlines, while ensuring acute attention to detail and accuracy.
- Superior research, writing, proofreading, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts and research data into compelling, accessible, and well-written reports and engaging presentations.
- Ability to work in our open, collaborative, and team-oriented culture.
- Committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust.
- Enthusiastic to learn new skills.
- Experience conducting interviews, ideally cognitive interviews in the context of survey questionnaire development (preferred, but not required).
- Experience supporting an IRB submission process and/or coordinating other types of institutional research approvals (preferred, but not required).
Starting base salary between $63,000 and $70,000, commensurate with experience and location. An additional generous benefits package worth approximately 40% of the base salary is also included.
Work for ITHAKA
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust.
Our team is passionate about our mission and supporting one another. We enjoy working together to create opportunities for people to learn and grow out in the world, and we bring that same commitment to helping our teammates develop in our careers and our lives. One of our core values is belonging. We embrace differences, and believe that the things that make each of us unique are the things that help us see new insights and build better solutions.
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA.
Interested candidates should submit their resume, a detailed cover letter, and salary requirements.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.