Visiting Research Specialist - Bioengineering (138656)
Visiting Research Specialist
Department of Bioengineering
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Bioengineering at The Grainger College of Engineering seeks applicants for a Visiting Research Specialist. The Visiting Research Specialist will perform research to create gene therapies to treat neurodegenerative diseases.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Test the efficacy of gene editing tools in vivo
- Supervise mouse colonies, which includes maintaining the size of the colony and overseeing the health of the animals
- Collaborate with research team (undergraduate and graduate students, postdoctoral research associates, and staff) to develop gene therapies for neurological diseases
- Characterize gene editing tools in culture systems
- Genotype mice to create experimental groups
- Present research findings in group meetings
- Conduct literature survey using internet and library resources and evaluate sample preparation methods
- Assume additional appropriate related research duties to further the mission of the laboratory
- Bachelor’s degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Relevant hands-on experience in mouse genotyping
- Relevant hands-on experience providing animal care and monitoring the animals’ health status
The Visiting Research Specialist position is a full time, benefits-eligible Academic Professional position appointed through August 15, 2021. The position may become permanent at a later date. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by November 9, 2020. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Amy Meharry at [email protected] or 217-300-6905.
Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit “Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment”.
As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility. The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.College Name or Administrative Unit:The Grainger College of Engineering Category:6-Research Title:Visiting Research Specialist - Bioengineering (138656) Open Date:10/26/2020 Organization Name:Bioengineering