Job no: 492309
Work type: Adjunct
Location: St. Louis, MO
Categories: Exercise Science, Adjunct
Job Summary/Basic Function
Maryville University is accepting applications for Adjunct Instructors, specifically exercise psychology and community health/health coaches, to teach in the undergraduate Exercise Science Program on campus in St. Louis, Missouri. The successful candidate must be committed to fostering a culturally diverse atmosphere for faculty, staff, and students.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
• Instruct assigned course as specified in the schedule, course contract, and provided curriculum
• Participate in welcome orientation (in person or digitally) to become familiar with the University’s mission, academic policies and procedures, expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System)
• Prepare essential learning objectives, lesson plans, assignments, and digital lectures/screencasts (as necessary). Develop course syllabus.
• Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, and assignments, using available technology with Canvas
• Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world/practical applications of concepts covered
• Encourage active learning through discussion topics, assignments, group projects, etc.
• Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough manner (< 2 weeks)
• Establish digital office hours through the use of University conferencing tools to provide additional assistance with student questions/concerns
• Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in the course
• Additional duties, as assigned, will vary based on course(s) taught
Applications are being accepted from candidates who have both teaching and industry experience working in the following fields:
Personal Training, Health Promotion and Wellness, Strength and Conditioning, Athletic Training, Biomechanics, Physical Therapy, or other Exercise Science-related fields.
• Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Exercise Science or a related field
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills
• Minimum two years professional experience
• Must be available to teach in-person on our campus located in St. Louis, MO • Community wellness experience
• Terminal degree from an accredited institution in a related field
• Professional membership in the NSCA, ACSM, APTA, NATA, or other related organization
• Demonstrated ability to coach and assist students in achieving their academic goals
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibiting discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.
Advertised: April 04, 2023
Applications close: Open until filled