Job no: 492309
Work type: Adjunct
Location: St. Louis, MO
Categories: Exercise Science, Adjunct
Job Summary/Basic Function
Maryville University is accepting applications for an Adjunct Instructor pool to teach in the undergraduate Exercise Science Program on campus in St. Louis, Missouri. The successful candidate must be committed to fostering a culturally diverse atmosphere for faculty, staff, and students.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
• Instruct assigned course as specified in the schedule, course contract, and provided curriculum
• Participate in welcome orientation (in person or digitally) to become familiar with the University’s mission, academic policies and procedures, expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System)
• Prepare essential learning objectives, lesson plans, assignments, and digital lectures/screencasts (as necessary). Develop course syllabus.
• Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, and assignments, using available technology with Canvas
• Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world/practical applications of concepts covered
• Encourage active learning through discussion topics, assignments, group projects, etc.
• Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough manner (< 2 weeks)
• Establish digital office hours through the use of University conferencing tools to provide additional assistance with student questions/concerns
• Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in the course
• Additional duties, as assigned, will vary based on course(s) taught
Applications are being accepted from candidates who have both teaching and industry experience working in the following fields:
Personal Training, Health Promotion and Wellness, Strength and Conditioning, Athletic Training, Biomechanics, Physical Therapy, or other Exercise Science-related fields.
• Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Exercise Science or a related field
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills
• Minimum two years professional experience
• Must be available to teach in-person on our campus located in St. Louis, MO
• Terminal degree from an accredited institution in a related field
• Professional membership in the NSCA, ACSM, APTA, NATA, or other related organization
• Demonstrated ability to coach and assist students in achieving their academic goals
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibiting discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.
Advertised: November 01, 2022
Applications close: Open until filled