Visiting Lecturer of Religious Studies
Job DetailsLevel ExperiencedJob Location Oglethorpe University - Atlanta, GAPosition Type Full-Time FacultyEducation Level DoctoralSalary Range UndisclosedTravel Percentage NegligibleJob Shift AnyJob Category EducationDescription The Philosophy Program at Oglethorpe University, a private four-year liberal university in the heart of Atlanta, Georgia, invites applications for a 3-semester Visiting Lecturer position (with the possibility of extension) for Spring 2021 and AY2021-2022.The role of Visiting Lecturer is primarily a teaching position. Therefore, successful candidates must have a strong commitment to teaching and evidence excellence in teaching. The official load for a Visiting Lecturer is three courses per semester, one of which must be a course in the University’s Core Program. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Conduct assigned class meetings and exams while demonstrating a command of the discipline and pedagogical skill in presenting it effectively—both remotely and in-person.
- Maintain regular office hours (remote or in person).
- Assign and submit student grades to the Registrar by the designated deadline.
- Serve as an advisor to assigned students and provide informed advice.
- Contribute to the Philosophy Program’s programmatic assessment.
- Engage in service to the program, University, profession, and wider community such as serving on committees, attending faculty and campus organized workshops on research and teaching, participating in professional organizations and activities, and providing support for campus and Philosophy Program events.
- Commit and contribute to Oglethorpe University’s mission to cultivate inclusive and equitable learning for all students.
- A cover letter of application addressing the candidates qualifications for the position with respect to each of the following: a) background in the area of Religious Studies as well as Non-Western Religious Studies; b) experience and background in teaching Religious Studies; c) experience working with students and other people of diverse cultures and identities; d) ways in which the candidate’s course offerings might foster connections between Philosophy and Religious Studies; e) ways in which the candidate might contribute to Oglethorpe University’s Core Program.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Names and Contact information of at least three professional references.