First Year Remote Peer Mentor
Job InformationClassification Number901840Classification TitleFirst Year Remote Peer MentorDepartmentDean of StudentsLevelJob Description
FYPMs at Middlebury College serve as mentors to first years who are studying remotely. Specifically, they are expected to build community and foster the intellectual and personal development of first-year students. They serve as a bridge that connects students to available services on campus. FYPMs forge personal connections with their students and communicate any student issues with the Student Life Advisor to Remote Learners. FYPMs must have a concrete understanding of the network of available resources on campus and a willingness to channel students to those resources. Each FYPM must be a solid, positive role model – creating, facilitating, and maintaining a healthy atmosphere that is conducive for student growth and community development. Each FYPM must build an atmosphere of empathy, respect and tolerance. Time Commitment: 5-8 hours a week
FYPMs’ main role is to connect with the remote first-years in their group. Throughout their term of appointment, FYPMs will:
● Get to know each student assigned to their group
● Make themselves available to students to assist with questions or concerns
● Lead regular meetings/community check-ins
● Follow up on student concerns and facilitate conversations as needed
● Share news of special programming designed for remote learners
● Share confidential information concerning students only with appropriate college staff
FYPMs serve as role models who can guide first-year students during their transition to college life. Throughout their term of appointment, FYPMs will
● Support students on both an academic and personal level
● Connect students with academic support resources on campus
● Understand student interests and connect them with activities/groups/clubs
● Serve as a role model, a listener, and a resource guide to ease the transition to Middlebury
FYPMs should connect their cohort of students to the college and to each other. Throughout their term of appointment, FYPMs will:
● Strive to develop an inclusive community, which promotes individual responsibility,
mutual respect, and protects individual rights of students
● Create opportunities for social connection within the group
● Schedule formal and informal meetings throughout their term of appointment
● Inform students of events taking place, especially supporting remote activities
● Develop programs for their cohort that arise from student interest
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge, Skills Abilities:
• Demonstrated knowledge of activities, organizations, and resources on campus
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
• Self-motivated and reliable; Ability to work independently and proactively on projects
• Creative thinker and solution-oriented
• A commitment to work from November through May.
Previous Residential Life Staff Training or MiddView Orientation Training strongly desired.
Project Connect Training a plus.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This posting is only open to students. Are you a current Middlebury College undergraduate student?
- Why do you want to work in this position?
(Open Ended Question)
- Do you have any previous job experience that might be relevant to this position? If yes, please explain.
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/C V