Assistant Director - PLUS
Posting DetailsPosition TitleAssistant Director - PLUSPosting Number2020036EPClassification TitleAssistant DirectorWorking TitleAssistant Director - PLUSClassification Code1537RCW Exemption Criteria13 - Counseling of StudentsEWU Position NumberE99586CUPA CodeNo MatchFLSANon-ExemptBargaining Unit PSE% Full Time100Salary / Wage RangePS - 108Salary Information
$49,344 up to $60,000Anticipated Start DateTerm of Appointment12 months/yearLocationCheneyCountyWashingtonProject DescriptionProject DurationBackground CheckYes - BothResponsible HR UserSaundra GodinResponsible HR User Email [email protected] Summary
We are currently seeking skilled and team-oriented applicants for the following position: Assistant Director – Program Leading to University Success (PLUS)
In collaboration with the Director of PLUS, the Assistant Director of PLUS will oversee and make appropriate decisions related to the Program Leading to University Success (PLUS). This position will collaborate with PLUS team, as well as faculty and staff partners, to provide support to students that will help EWU students persist and graduate on both the Cheney and Spokane campuses. This role will manage and expand the PLUS Academic Coaching, specifically, and designated student success programs as needed. Through ongoing assessment and data-informed decision making, the Assistant Director of PLUS will lead continual development and improvement of the academic coaching program working collaboratively with the Director.
This position will also be responsible for student/faculty workshops, presentations, and the hiring, supervision, and training of student employees including academic coaches, graduate students, and office aides. Additionally, this role will serve as the lead PLUS website administrator.
Under the direction of the Director, this role will serve as the lead administrator for the EAB Navigate Tutoring platform. This includes managing and coordinating effective implementation of the platform and providing technical support and expertise to EAB Navigate Tutoring module users, including troubleshooting and integrating existing systems and services. In addition, this role will be responsible for developing training modules on all tutoring related functions/operations within Navigate and ensuring all new tutoring platform users receive appropriate training.
This position reports to the Director of PLUS.
The candidate selected for this position will be rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes highly subsidized health/dental plans, retirement plan with 100% university match, generous paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays (adjusted accordingly), tuition waiver benefit and more!
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value, as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
This position is covered by the Public School Employees’ Collective Bargaining Agreement.Physical Demands
Optional: Contact Saundra Godin in Human Resource Services at [email protected] to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis which will describe conditions of employment, such as physical demands.Pre-Placement Physical NoHearing Test NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire NoProtective Equipment
None AnticipatedRequired Qualifications
- Master’s degree in any field from an accredited university/college.
- Three years of professional experience in academic support programs, which must include job duties focused on student persistence, retention, and degree completion. One year of experience should be in a leadership capacity.
- Two years of experience supervising employees.
- Experience using EAB Navigate technology or other comparable student success technology.
- Experience collecting and analyzing data, generating reports based on the data and developing data-informed programming for student success and retention initiatives.
- Extensive experience using computer technologies including databases, internet, spreadsheets, tracking systems, and word processing.
- Experience creating and maintaining strong, collegial, positive, and collaborative partnerships with university faculty, staff and students.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and time while under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Candidates must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility, or diversity.
- Master’s degree in education, counseling, psychology, sociology, social work, or related field from an accredited university/college.
- Experience in a college or university setting developing and coordinating an academic coaching program.
- Experience in a college or university setting developing and teaching college success strategies workshops or classes.
- Experience with Banner.
- Experience with creating and implementing communication or marketing campaigns.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Monday – Friday, 8am-5pmPosting Date10/22/2020Open Until Further NoticeNoClosing Date11/06/2020Screening to Begin11/10/2020Special Instructions to Applicants
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below.
1. Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required minimum qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2. Attach a chronological resume including work experience, education, and applicable certifications. Please include the names, addresses and phone numbers for 3 professional references in your resume (these can be identical to the references listed on the application).
3. Complete the online application form and respond to the online questions, if applicable.
4. Applicant Certification – please download the Certification form (link is provided in the next field); then complete and sign the form, and upload it to this link.
5. Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080, applicants for employment at any Washington State institution of higher education, are required to provide a signed statement verifying information about their history of prior sexual misconduct and providing authorization for current and previous employers to disclose relevant records to Eastern Washington University.
All applicants are required to download the statement linked below, complete and sign it, and then attach the signed statement as part of their job application: Required Applicant Certification.
Attach the completed and signed certification to the document link called Applicant Certification.
Administrative, Evaluation, EAB Navigate
- Serve as the Director of PLUS’ back-up and perform related duties, as needed, in the Director’s absence.
- Assist in the management of day-to-day operations of PLUS by ensuring effective and efficient flow of student appointments, including but not limited to, managing the front desk and office aides, and maintaining adequate coverage in support of office operations.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate student employees (GSAs, undergraduate and graduate) to become peer academic coaches, to manage front office operations, direct work of front desk staff and serve as mentor, coach and leader.
- Create a front office environment that is student-centered, responsive to students’ needs, friendly and helpful.
- Define performance expectations, ensure accountability, and provide ongoing informal feedback, coaching, and mentoring to student office staff.
- Serve as lead PLUS website administrator
- Design, implement, evaluate, and provide reporting for PLUS Academic Coaching and designated retention programs, projects, and activities.
- Manage and analyze EWU student retention data using EAB Navigate system and Banner.
- Manage and coordinate effective implementation of EAB Navigate Tutoring platform in support of EWU’s student success needs. Coordinate with all user groups (PLUS, Writers’ Center, Monroe Aleks Lab, and Science Tutoring Labs — Chemistry and Physics) and partner with EAB and university work leads.
- Under the direction of the Director, implement and perform ongoing management of EAB’s Navigate Tutoring platform.
- Provide technical support and expertise to EAB Navigate Tutoring module users, including troubleshooting, integrating existing systems and services, providing support for upgrades, and data migrations.
- Develop training modules on all tutoring related functions/operations within Navigate and ensure all new tutoring platform users receive appropriate training.
- Train new users utilizing Navigate Tutoring platform and manage profile setup, user role assignments, and other administrative functions within the system.
- As a member of the Coordinated Care Network, monitor and manage Alerts and Cases within Navigate on a regular basis, ensuring students are being connected to the appropriate resource in a timely manner.
- Liaise with faculty and CAAR advisors, college administration, student service units and others promoting the EagleCare Network, leading to a campus-wide shared responsibility of EWU student care and a more seamless experience for students.
Direct Student Support
- Collaborate with PLUS team, as well as faculty and staff partners, to provide support to students through campus and community resources that will help the students persist and graduate. Assist PLUS Retention Specialists with study groups and one-on-one tutoring.
- In collaboration with the Director, oversee PLUS Academic Coaching and designated student success programs serving undergraduate students considered to be from marginalized populations. Serve as the primary administrator to these programs and be responsible for meeting these programs objectives.
- Design and instruct student employee training based on College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA) certification requirements.
- Facilitate the instruction of students, individually and in groups, on student success strategies, as requested by the Director.
- Coach students during high impact days, at special events, when the peer academic coaches need assistance, or when deemed necessary by the Director.
- Coordinate PLUS outreach efforts across campus and community.
- Develop and maintain strong institutional relationships with student service units and departments with the aim of providing coordinated support to students through campus and community resources, events, and other collaboration aiding in student persistence and retention.
- Serve on various EWU committees, including those that impact student success and retention.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Applicant Certification
- Diversity Response
- DD214 Form
- Other Document #1