Animal Care Supervisor
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Manager, Animal Care & Facilities or designee, the Animal Care Facilities Supervisor assists with the management of the physical animal care facilities and directs all animal husbandry and care activities in one or more assigned animal research facilities.Responsibilities
- Assist in developing and modifying, as needed, animal care policies, procedures and practices which promote high quality, cost effective operation of the animal facilities.
- Perform hiring interviews and submit hiring recommendations
- Help provide job performance training and documentation of training for animal care staff.
- Prepare and coach staff on knowledge and skills needed for AALAS certification.
- Interact with faculty, staff, and other Medical School service departments (EH&S, EBS & Facility Maintenance) to provide high quality, responsive animal care services; advise on technological changes affecting laboratory animal research and care.
- Oversee efficiency and effectiveness of work assigned to direct reports.
- Maintain supply and equipment inventory to sustain the day-to-day operations of the animal care program, including; feed/bedding, sanitation supplies, cage equipment, etc.
- Maintain accurate records, including: room logs, health reports, cage cards, autoclave and cage-wash records, animal census and other records as required.
- Conduct performance evaluation interviews of direct reports. Complete subsequent performance review documentation using input gained from the interviews.
- Perform routine rounds of assigned animal facilities to monitor performance of direct reports, adherence to policy/protocol of personnel working within the facility and evaluate morale.
- Identify and report physical plant items or equipment in need of repair.
- Provide information needed for annual budget projections by tracking use of materials, supplies, and equipment repairs throughout the year and provide an estimate on quantity or funds needed for the upcoming year.
- Provide weekend and holiday oversight as required.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Management or any of the life sciences (e.g., animal science, biology, microbiology), or equivalent experience
- AALAS certification at the Technologist level is required, or, AALAS certification at the Technician level with successful completion of Technologist certification within 18 months of being appointed supervisor.
- 1 year of experience as a supervisor in a laboratory animal facility is required (including hiring or interviewing for hiring, managing, discipline, etc. Supervisory experience with at least 2 direct reports preferred). Or, successful completion of at least 20 documented hours of Management Training Seminars/Program.
- Working knowledge of, and hands-on experience with, barrier animal facilities is preferred.
- Basic computer skills and a working knowledge of computer programs such as Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word are required.