Digital Content Editor #494827
Posting DetailsPosting Number20112023Position TitleDigital Content Editor #494827FTE1.00Position TypeStaffDepartmentWeb CommunicationsJob Summary/Basic Function
The Digital Content Editor will be responsible for planning, creating, editing and publishing information on the lamar.edu website as well as other writing for online and print that complies with university style, search engine optimization strategies and marketing and web communication policies and procedures.
The Digital Content Editor reports to the office of Web Communication with oversight by the Director of Web Communication who has the responsibility of managing, planning and supporting web initiatives of the university. The Office of Web Communication exists in within Lamar University’s Office of Marketing Communications.
You will work with other web and marketing professionals such as web editors, web developers, graphic designers, marketing specialists, publication editors, video editors, photographers and PR as well as academic faculty, deans and advisors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Producing new web content and writing it in an interesting and appealing manner following the LU web writing style in tone and voice
• Sourcing images and artwork
• Communicating effectively with faculty, staff, students and the community
• Implementing and managing content/ promotional updates for the website using the content management system, Cascade Server
• Implementing new technology, media and emerging standards related to Internet marketing and digital media when managing content
• Implementing SEO updates to maximize both organic and, if applicable, paid search
• Editing and reshaping content from multiple contributors into one united, concise voice using superior writing skills and attention to detail
• Using a combination of data analysis, user research, benchmarking, and content audits to make content decisions and orchestrate clear, concise, visually appealing, user-focused content development
• Following policies and guidelines for the LU web environment and all publications
• Communicating effectively with the college’s subject matter experts to develop web and other content that speaks to appropriate audiences and advise on content strategy in line with the university’s objectives
• Have excellent communication skills, both written and oral
• Be creative, able to alter their style of writing to reflect their audience
• Be able to multitask and prioritize work schedules
• Be computer literate and possess good keyboard skills
• Be interested in different methods of communication
• Be able to work in the evenings or on weekends occasionally if needed
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of related education and required work experience.
• Capability to perform in a dynamic and team-oriented environment is essential
• Strong problem solving skills
• Must be able to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a multi-talented team of designers, developers, content producers and strategists
• Interpersonal communication skills and the ability to maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, vendors and the public are required
• Have an appreciation for design and an aptitude for user experience
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred Qualifications
• 3+ years digital content editing experience
• Experience editing within a content management system
• Proven self-starter who can work with minimal guidance or oversight
• Demonstrated ability to step out of day-to-day processes and think strategically with strong reader empathy
• Knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Standards Compliance
• Knowledge of HTML and CSS
• Knowledge of AP writing style
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.SalaryCommensurateWork Hours Posting Date10/22/2020Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial InstructionsPosting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you claiming Veteran's Preference in accordance with Texas Senate Bill 805, Section 657.003? PLEASE READ IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for Veteran's Preference, applicants must complete and email to [email protected] a Standard Form 15 located at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf to include the required documents per the instructions on the form. Emails MUST also include position titles and posting numbers for each and every position applied for. APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO EMAIL ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS BEFORE A POSTING CLOSES WILL NOT BE AWARDED VETERAN'S PREFERENCE.
- * Please indicate the highest level of education you have completed.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Some college credits
- Technical School Degree and/or Certificate
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- * In what area(s) did you receive your degree(s).
(Open Ended Question)
- * The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) maintains a list of Institutions Whose Degrees are illegal to Use in Texas. You can search for your institution on the THECB website at: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=3D2801D0-1C9F-11E8-BC500050560100A9. Copy and paste this link into a web browser in order to search under "Fraudulent or Substandard Institutions" for your college/university attended for your degree. Please check your answer BEFORE you submit your application. *HR is not responsible for checking your answer nor resubmitting your application back into the pool if you do not answer this question correctly.*As part of your educational qualifications for this position, are you claiming a degree from any of the institutions listed on the THECB website referenced above?
- Yes, my institution IS on this list & IS Not accredited.
- No, my institution is NOT on this list & IS accredited.
- * Do you have any demonstrated technology skills and ability such as LMS management, online presentation development, graphical layout, digital audio and video, HTML coding & editing?
- * Please list the types of editing software with which you have attained proficiency.
(Open Ended Question)
- Letter of Interest
- Official Transcript 1