Director of Graduate Enrollment Management
Job no: 497907
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: San José
Categories: MPP, Administrative, Marketing/Communications, Student Services, At-Will, Full Time
The College of Graduate Studies provides leadership for the advancement of graduate education at San José State University; supports the development and vibrancy of premier quality graduate programs; and serves the scholarly and professional needs of graduate students at the university and into their careers. Our work is guided by our core values of excellence, integrity, equity, and service.
The Director of Graduate Enrollment Management reports to the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies (CGS). The Director is responsible for the overall management, planning, administration, direction and evaluation of the Graduate Enrollment Management unit in CGS. This position directly supervises administrative support staff, and oversees a combined work unit. The Director works closely with campus and community constituents, including the Deans, Associate Vice Presidents, Associate Deans, Chairs, Graduate Program Directors, and other campus stakeholders, to develop, implement, and assess short- and long-term plans that promote, support and develop effective graduate enrollment management practices for SJSU; and works closely with many colleagues to provide leadership in the design and implementation of coordinated enrollment management initiatives.
The Director of Graduate Enrollment Management represents the university and CGS on internal and external committees including the Joint Enrollment Planning team and the College of Graduate Studies leadership team. The ability to create effective, collegial relationships throughout the University is an important component of this position. This incumbent works with many departments across the university to foster a campus climate that is welcoming and supportive of our diverse student and employee population.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Develop and implement strategies to achieve the university's enrollment goals with primary responsibility for achieving graduate student enrollment goals.
- Formulate short- and long-term goals and objectives for meeting established enrollment targets, both in regular- and special-session programs, and monitor progress toward goals.
- In collaboration with Deans, Associate Deans, graduate program directors and chairs in all colleges, identify and achieve graduate enrollment targets in each program and develop program-specific recruitment strategies and materials.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate the Graduate Enrollment Management (GEM) team.
- Oversee the Graduate Enrollment Management budget.
- In collaboration with Information Technology, Institutional Research, Strategic Communications and Marketing, GAPE, EMTIC, and other campus stakeholders, enhance recruiting and enrollment processes through development and implementation of technology-based systems that improve communications and operational efficiency and effectiveness. This includes implementation of a CRM for prospective, current, and former graduate students.
- Serve as a member of the CGS leadership team and collaborate to develop and implement the general vision and direction of the College of Graduate Studies. Participates in other duties and projects as assigned by the Dean of CGS.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong knowledge and skills in developing, implementing, and evaluating recruitment, enrollment, and retention strategies for students from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience and commitment to developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with internal and external constituents within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Knowledge of university departments, academic disciplines, and basics of graduate study.
- Ability to brainstorm and collaborate with stakeholders in CGS and throughout the university; offer and accept constructive criticism; and adapt creative concepts in response to changing demands and circumstances.
- Ability to appropriately handle sensitive and confidential information; Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff, including hiring, training and evaluating performance.
- Ability to keep abreast of public policy and public affairs issues.
- Ability to demonstrate strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain relationships within the CGS, university and community at large.
- Strong customer service and public relations skills, including ability to make clear, succinct, and effective public and private presentation to groups such as managers, faculty, staff, students, media and community members.
- Ability to create, develop, and implement comprehensive long and short-term strategic enrollment plans.
- Ability to ensure production of high-quality work in a high-volume environment within budget and time constraints.
- Ability to coordinate complex work projects and expedite the flow of these projects.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and use judgment to achieve goals, and handle deadlines, interruptions, multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to understand the overall goals of an organization and craft strategies and approaches to be able to articulate those goals to all audiences.
- Ability to identify and analyze problems; make logical decisions; and provide solutions to individual and organizational problems.
- Ability to adapt behavior and work methods in response to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
- Ability to display motivation and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to display organization, meet deadlines, display detail orientation, possess good judgment and common sense.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Professional experience with enrollment management
- Management and budget experience
- Experience manipulating and drawing inferences from data sets
- Graduate degree
- Higher education management and budget experience
- Experience with student data systems
- Experience with CRM in higher education
Classification: Administrator III
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: October 22, 2020 through November 22, 2020. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: October 22, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time