Assistant to the Dean, College of Graduate and Continuing Education
Assistant to the Dean, College of Graduate and Continuing Education
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Assistant to the Dean, College of Graduate and Continuing Education
State Job Title: Administrative Assistant II
Department: Graduate and Continuing Education
Job Code: N17X05
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Bargaining Unit: NUC
Job Type: Full-Time
Timeframe: 52 Weeks
Shift: Monday - Friday; 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., three days per week, 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. one day per week, 8:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. on Fridays. May be required to work evenings/weekends for events/meetings.
Regular Days Off: Saturday and Sunday (May be required to work evenings/weekends for events/meetings).
Supervision Received: The Staff Assistant receives general supervision from the Dean of the College of Graduate and Continuing Education.
Supervision Exercised: Part-time student employees and work-study students, as assigned. May supervise support staff as required.
Salary: $1,908.09 Bi-Weekly
General Statement of Duties:
Provides administrative support to the Dean of the College of Graduate and Continuing Education (CGCE) and the office to meet College goals and deadlines. Responsibilities include duties requiring a significant degree of professionalism, confidentiality, skill, reasoning, understanding, independent judgment, decision-making, and general knowledge of areas within the College. Assists with coordinating meetings, special events, graduate assistantship program, faculty/advisor contracts, record keeping, and may serve on a variety of committees/groups in a support capacity. Assists and supports the CGCE Dean with incoming and outgoing correspondence; including, preparation, editing, screening, and responding as appropriate. Has regular access to personnel matters including preparation of disciplinary correspondence in advance of it being issued. Assists the College Dean with all grievances and has access to Step 3 responses prior to issuance; maintains CGCE grievance files.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Provides administrative support to the CGCE Dean and office, to include scheduling and coordination of the CGCE Dean calendar and/or travel arrangements, screening and handling telephone communications, preparing materials, greeting and directing visitors, coordinating administrative inquiries, as appropriate; serves as a resource and primary point of contact between the CGCE Dean's office with students, faculty, staff, and external constituencies on a wide range of day-to-day issues.
- Assists the Dean with contract preparation and management for "CGCE" faculty agreements, faculty compliance with conditions of employment, and entering faculty data in the University's student information system (SIS), Banner. Coordination and preparation of annual faculty advising contracts. Gains and maintains knowledge of the MSCA Agreement to assist in ensuring that CGCE is in full compliance with the MSCA Agreement. Provides data to the MSCA union, produces temporary employment contracts as needed; administers classroom evaluations in accordance with the MSCA Agreement, as well as the student evaluation process for CGCE courses. Files sensitive material securely, including, but not limited to, faculty evaluations, contracts, and personnel files.
- Drafts a variety of letters and assists with managing the incoming correspondence for the Dean, including the Dean's email.
- Has significant access to personnel matters including preparation of disciplinary correspondence in advance of it being issued. Assists the College Dean with all grievances and has access to Step 3 responses prior to issuance; maintains CGCE grievance records.
- Oversees the record keeping for all CGCE course syllabi, course catalogs, and graduate student capstones for retention purposes. Maintains knowledge of public record keeping.
- Coordinatse requests and collection of CGCE semester credit-course schedules, including pilot courses, cross-listed courses, and off-campus (remote) courses. Assists Dean with course cancellations and "Course by Arrangement" process and contracts.
- Provides oversight and coordination of the graduate assistant program: recruiting, coordination and vetting of applicants. Liaises with academic and non-academic departments to coordinate hiring, contracts, payroll, and tuition remission.
- Assists with the coordination and execution of the annual Graduate Commencement ceremony in collaboration with the CGCE Dean and other campus constituents. As part of the Graduate Commencement ceremony, coordinates logistics for the Outstanding Educator Award Committee (The Nevins Award).
- Schedules daily appointments, some of which may be of a sensitive nature; coordinates group meetings; gathers and compiles information for the Dean to take appropriate actions.
- Composes, prepares, proofs written documentation and correspondence for the CGCE Dean and office; screens and evaluates incoming and outgoing correspondence and prepares responses as appropriate.
- Supports data and other resource acquisition to enhance Dean's office decision-making processes.
- Attends and take minutes at CGCE Chair/Advisor meetings and other meetings as requested by the Dean.
- Supports the Dean in academic functions and event planning including, but not limited to, publicity, space, resources, catering, and associated financial responsibilities.
- Prepares, processes, and keeps record of travel and expense reports for the Dean.
- Works effectively and cooperatively within the University and all outside constituent groups and individuals with a high level of professionalism.
- Exercises sound judgment and offers creative solutions to problems; handles confidential information with discretion, including student records according to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Manages priorities with competing deadlines and achieves needed outcomes.
- Provides coverage in the office to assist front desk staff with student concerns as needed and be on duty at least one evening per week to assist with office closing functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Dean.
Qualifications Required at Hire:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of office management.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to prepare general reports.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in written and oral expression.
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of data, to draw conclusions, and to make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to be attentive to detail and perform work with high level of accuracy.
- Ability to write concisely, to express thoughts clearly, and to develop ideas in logical sequence.
- Ability to deal thoughtfully with others.
- Ability to establish rapport and maintain harmonious working relationships with persons from varied ethnic, cultural, and/or economic backgrounds.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Proficiency with personal computers and office software; including, Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to use Banner (SIS) for College operations.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
- Minimum of three years of experience in office management, office administration, business administration/business management; an associate's degree may be substituted for this requirement.
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.asp
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An online application is required. A resume and cover letter may be attached but this is not required.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin August 14, 2020. The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalist have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=123949&CNTRNO=9&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency