Network and Communications Analyst (7566U) - 12210
Network and Communications Analyst (7566U) - 12210 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 3, 2020
The UC Berkeley Seismological Laboratory operates a network of geophysical stations in northern California to collect data in real time, to support the delivery of earthquake information to state and federal stakeholders and the public, including earthquake early warning, and to provide data for research. In collaboration with the USGS Earthquake Management Project , the BSL jointly operates the northern California component of the USGS Advanced National Seismic System to provide public earthquake information, earthquake early warning, and long-term earthquake monitoring operations. In addition, the BSL collaborates for telemetry and data exchange with partner organizations ranging from federal and state agencies to public and private organizations. Robust, rapid, secure delivery of data are vital to these activities. This position provides support for intra- and inter-network data connections. The role develops, plans, implements, manages and troubleshoots the robust and reliable data communications network infrastructure for the Berkeley Seismo Lab, and collaborates with outside partners on standards and interfaces for data transfer through partner networks.
- Leads the design, specification, installation, management, configuration and troubleshooting of data communications equipment for transferring data from about 200 geophysical field stations to one or more data centers. This includes equipment such as cell modems, data radios, remote routers & switches, microwave networking infrastructure, remote system control units.
- Evaluates & tests new or enhanced data communications electronics and services, including for security, reliability, robustness & throughput issues.
- Oversees, configures, manages & troubleshoots BSL data communciations interfaces (ethernet, T1, microwave) with outside partners.
- Provides expert advice to users / units on data communication issues.
- Works with outside partner organizations and stakeholders to ensure compatibility & conformance with their standards for data paths that cross their networks.
- Develops & implements monitoring & diagnostic tools and software.
- Explores, develops and manages options for duplicate communcations paths from the remote stations.
- Specifies, manages, oversees & troubleshoots the BSL's data communications hardware and infrastructure in its data center, including redundant VPN routers and switches.
- Works directly with vendor / manufacturer technical support to isolate and resolve complex hardware and software issues.
- Configures and troubleshoots systems that support network services.
- Identifies and selects training opportunities for professional development.
- Participates in crossfunctional group discussions, activities and efforts.
- Coordinates all phases of multiple, complex network projects: planning, design, procurement, implementation and documentation of completed infrastructure, including maps and figures.
- Consults with other units and outside collaborators on planning, implementation and security for jointly used data communications systems.
- Provide advice and guidance on data communications infrastructure.
- Troubleshoots throughout the data communications systems, interacting with a diverse set of contacts, collaborators and service providers to resolve problems.
- Troubleshooting responsibilities include hardware, software and security of equipment in the field, in the data center and also include problems with data communications service providers.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of professional communications and network concepts necessary to resolve issues using established parameters, creativity and independent judgment, escalating as necessary.
- Thorough understanding of various network hardware platforms, network related protocols and software including understanding of OSI layer 3 and layer 2 protocols at a complex level and related technical standards critical to the operation of interconnected networks.
- In-depth experience with network diagnostic and performance management tools and software.
- Thorough and broad knowledge and experience working with network management systems.
- Ability to gather, organize and analyze data in the completion of a variety of functional assignments.
- Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Self-motivated, can work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills in a diverse and dynamic environment.
Salary & Benefits
This is a monthly paid (exempt) position. Annual salary will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), 2-year contract with the possibility for renewal based on available funding.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=12210&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency