Director of Donor Relations
Position: Director of Donor Relations Location: Wheaton, IL
Job Id: 576 # of Openings: 1 Director of Donor Relations Job OverviewReporting to the Vice President for Advancement, Vocation, and Alumni Engagement (AVAE), the Director of Donor Relations is responsible for identifying, coordinating, and providing leadership for all divisional activities that help build strong relations with Wheaton College donors, and advance a culture of philanthropy toward the institution. In collaboration with the AVAE division and departments across campus, the Director will strengthen relationships with existing and potential donors so that they feel informed, engaged, and appreciated. This includes staying abreast of best practices in donor relations overall, managing the areas of events and scholarships, and assisting the President and VP for AVAE in managing their donor relationships, and in overseeing the Board of Visitors. Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages all facets of the Board of Visitors (BOV) program, serving as the President’s first line of support and working closely with the BOV Chairperson; executes research on all BOV candidates; coordinates the selection and onboarding of new members; manages all details of bi-annual meetings; ensures members are recognized for their board service; ensures current/retired members receive College communications throughout the year.
- Oversees the events team, ensuring that events assigned to this team are completed with excellence.
- Supervises the scholarship program, ensuring that for all newly-established and existing funds—endowed and spendable—the donor’s intent is realized, the fund is awardable (if a scholarship), and meets the College’s needs; facilitates ongoing communication and annual reporting to donors regarding the impact of their investment; ensures systematic, annual communication between endowed chair holders/professors and donors, and communication between beneficiaries and donors of other named endowments of any kind, such as lectureships, coaching positions, and programs; and oversees the planning and execution of the annual Endowed Scholarship and Fellowship Dinner.
- Ensures that the institutional policy for named spaces is followed, providing leadership and guidance for the naming of campus rooms, coordinating the design process for plaques, utilizing the events team to assist with naming ceremonies as needed, and maintaining ongoing lists of named spaces.
- Assists the President and VP for AVAE in managing their key donor relationships; drafts/edits/facilitates appropriate communications or care for fundraising and other situations on behalf of the President, collaborating with the VP and Regional Directors as necessary.
- Manages the annual Advent Devotional mailing, serving as the project manager, working closely with the President, freelance writers, Marketing Communications designers, and printers.
- Manages all facets of special recognition fund drives (e.g., Endow-a-Seat), including promotion and communication with donors and honorees, and gift facilitation (e.g., special website).
- Manages Wheaton’s Loyal Wheaties giving society and provides assistance, as needed, to facilitate donor relations activities/communications for Wheaton Associates and Blanchard Society.
- Identifies opportunities to recognize long-time donors for their consistent giving, first-time donors, milestone donors, and other specific donor groups.
- Informs donors of their outstanding pledges.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Five plus years of progressively increasing experience in a related field, preferably in higher education or a non-profit organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong strategic thinker and attention to detail
- Experience in team management
- Strong interpersonal skills