Instructor/Learning Lab Assistant
To advance the college’s mission, vision, principles, values and strategic initiatives through continuous improvement decisions.
GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
Under limited supervision, the instructor is responsible for assisting students at the learning center desk preparing for their High School Equivalency Diploma or taking independent study courses for the Kirkwood Adult High School Diploma. The instructor may substitute on occasion to teach courses in Mathematics or English or ESL at the Kirkwood Center for Lifelong Learning. The instructor also assists students in transitioning from ESL courses to other Kirkwood related opportunities in collaboration with other Kirkwood staff members. This position will be some mornings and some evening hours on Mondays-Fridays.
UNIVERSAL CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Advocate for Continual Improvement- empowering each other to identify opportunities for excellence.
- Collaborate with Mutual Accountability- working together with a willingness to take ownership and account for our actions.
- Champion Service- anticipating needs and create a welcoming, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Perseverance- commitment to excellence even in the face of adversity or delay in achieving success.
- Lead- regardless of title, through positive influence.
- Evaluating student work and assigning grades.
- Collaborate with fellow learning center instructors on curriculum development, student intake/advising, and staff development activities.
- Conducting CASAS assessments for eligible students.
- Assisting students with basic skills and high school equivalency coursework in a variety of formats including individualized instruction, computer assisted instruction, structured courses, and other methods.
- Participate in building-level and program-wide professional development.
- Perform other related work duties as assigned.
- Be able and willing to represent the Kirkwood Community College in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve.
- Possess the ability to develop and implement policies and procedures to serve a wide range of students with varying backgrounds, abilities and personalities effectively.
- Assume responsibility, deal effectively with problems, and exercise independent judgment when making decisions.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with students, colleagues, and the general public.
- Read, understand and express oneself clearly and effectively in oral and written communication.
- Ability to use computer systems for word processing, e-mail communication, database management, and website enhancement.
- Welcome, value, and nurture people of all backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, as well as support and promote an environment that accepts differences.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH/WITHOUT REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION:
Position involves working in an office setting. Occasional (10-33%) standing, pushing, pulling and grasping. Frequent (34-66%) reaching and viewing a computer and other types of close visual work. Constant (67-100%) sitting, walking, repetitive motion, talking and hearing.
- Bachelor’s degree.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Preferred endorsement area would include 5-12 certification in math or English.
- Prior successful teaching experience in an alternative high school setting or in adult basic education.
- Prior experience teaching adult ESL/ABE learners or working with adult immigrants.
- Prior experience teaching ESL or foreign language at any age.
Kirkwood Community College shall not engage in nor allow unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment. This includes all employment practices, hiring practices, and unwelcome harassment of applicants or employees based on race, color, national origin, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information or actual or potential parental, family, marital status or veteran status. If you have questions or complaints related to compliance with the policy, please contact the Vice President of Human Resources at Kirkwood Community College, 313 Kirkwood Hall, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd., SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404, Telephone: 319-398-5572, Email: [email protected] or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Education, Citigroup Center, 500 W. Madison St., Suite 1475, Chicago, IL 60661-7204, Telephone: 312-730-1560, Fax: 312-730-1576, Email: [email protected]