Liasion to the Local Latin X Commuity- Temporary Position
By proven strategies Jackson College is leading the nation in its commitment to serve diverse communities. To increase our service and understanding of the Latin X community in our area, we are seeking an individual who will serve as the liaison between Jackson College and the Latin X community on a temporary basis for up to six months working up to 10 hours per week. This position will start working remotely, but needs to be able to work in-person as needed. This individual will be responsible developing relationships with and implementing programs designed to increase our connection with the local Latin X community. Our goal is that this increased understanding and connection will lead to a more inclusive campus culture, increased Latin X student enrollment, and an increase in the cultural diversity of Jackson College employees. This individual works closely with the Chief Diversity Officer of Jackson College, the Jackson College Multicultural Affairs, Marketing, and the Jackson College International Institute.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Establish a community leadership committee (7-10 members).
- Develop a personal communication plan for outreach to students from the local Latin X Coordinate an annual Latin X community campus event (such as a cultural celebration).
- Coordinate community focus groups for members of Latin X community to assess any potential unmet higher educational needs.
- Assist the Jackson College marketing department to insure culturally relevant marketing strategies are being developed.
- Develop a strategic process that incorporates how the goals of this position will be carried out on an annual basis.
- Prepare a bi-annual report that provides updates on the progress of the annual goals of position.
- Develop and coordinate an annual calendar of programming and special events as they pertain to the goal of the position.
- Advance linkage with culturally related organizations and representatives in the tri-county region.
- Develop a personal communications plan for outreach to all potential students, families, places of worship and businesses that relate to local Latin X community.
- Responsible for understanding, supporting and actively demonstrating the College’s beliefs, values, mission and vision and agreeing to be evaluated by same.
- Responsible for understanding that this position has been identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA) position. You must complete the annual Clery Act training, for and act as, a Campus Security Authority
This position does not have any supervisor responsibilities.
CONTACTS AND PURPOSE OF CONTACTS
Internal: Communicate within the college community to facilitate the planning of special meetings, programs, and events.
External: Maintain regular and frequent contact with schools, businesses, agencies, groups, and organizations to enhance the image of Jackson College, to establish linkages, and to foster partnerships that promote diversity and inclusion.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Associates Degree in relevant field (preferred)
- Two years of working with multicultural student/community programming, student development, mentoring, and/or project planning.
- Skills in communicating effectively with individuals from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds
- Valid Michigan Driver License.
Knowledge of (preferred):
- Presentation methods and techniques
- Project planning, goal setting, and group dynamics.
- Personal computer and associated office
- Customer service techniques including excellent phone skills and technology related communication skills.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Must be comfortable traveling to and conducting off campus visits/meetings with students.
- Ability to routinely work 10 hours per week.
- Ability to multi-task and handle agendas at once
- Write routine correspondence clearly and concisely, providing well thought-out details.
- Assess situations, identify problems, propose solutions, develop strategies for improvement and demonstrate follow through with minimal supervision.
- Perform date entry, retrieval, utilize complex computer program and software.
- Work with confidential information related to the position.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with special needs to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with special needs to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Close vision is required for computer accuracy.
“This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required and shall not be construed as declaring the specific duties and responsibilities. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his or her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.”
Jackson College only accepts on-line applications though this system. For assistance with this, please call 517-796-8468.
It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess (even if you are repeating it from your resume or cover letter). For instance, do not say, "See Resume." Your resume, cover letter, and if a degree is required an unofficial transcript must be attached to your application. Applications will be rejected if incomplete.
When you apply for the position, you will get to the document upload area where you will be given an opportunity to attach your documents such as your resume. Instructions will also be found there.
The College reserves the right to request proof of degree or certification at a later date if these documents are required as part of the qualifications for the position.
Final candidates will be subject to a criminal background as part of the employment process.
If selected you will be required to complete the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, Employment Eligibility Verification form I-9 and provide documentation verifying identity and eligibility to work in the United States. Jackson College is NOT able to support Visa applications for employment at the college. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United States to be considered.
Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and interview process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
A copy of Jackson College's Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report is available on the JC Campus Safety & Security website. The security report contains crime statistics for the previous three years (2014-2016) for all of our campus locations and the annual fire safety report, which contains statistics for any reported fires in campus housing units and fire safety systems in these buildings. Additionally, the report contains policies, available resources and information concerning personal safety, fire safety and reporting procedures for both crimes and fires.
Jackson College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively supports workforce diversity.