Coordinator of Research Programs - Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology (134509)
Coordinator of Research Programs
Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Primary Position Function/Summary:
The purpose of the Coordinator of Research Programs is to assist select Beckman Institute faculty members in Molecular Science and Engineering research groups with all matters related to their research, including management and oversight of research proposal preparation and submission, as well as serve as a liaison with publishers, granting agencies, departmental business offices, and Beckman Institute staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Coordinate the preparation and submission of multi-disciplinary grant proposals to various granting agencies.
• Arrange PI and group members' travel, including airfare, lodging, etc. and process expense reports following travel.
• Manage purchasing on grants, including submission of orders through iBuy or orders placed via p-card/t-card.
• Monitor the financial activity of assigned accounts and interact with appropriate business offices to
• Ensure accurate financial reporting and plan and implement student and postdoctoral appointments.
• Coordinate personnel appointment extensions, salary increases, and labor distribution changes each term for all research staff.
• Serve as a contact person between students, staff, outside agencies, and principals to ensure the timely response, referral, or action necessary for a positive end result to any requests, questions, or concerns.
• Plan and organize reports to campus offices and federal agencies.
• Coordinate visits from granting agencies and research collaborators.
• Interact with the Office of Technology Management to manage group technology.
• Coordinate searches for and visits by postdoctoral candidates and supervise the start of new visiting scientists, postdoctoral students, and graduate student researchers.
• Hire and supervise student employees as necessary.
• Oversee the design and maintenance of research group web pages.
• Serve as a liaison with publishers, granting agencies, newspapers and other press contacts, departmental business offices and Beckman Institute staff.
• Assist with scientific journal article submission.
• Proofread student posters and student conference abstracts.
• Bachelor’s degree
• One year of administrative experience in a research or academic environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of University policies and procedures regarding budgets and expenditures, grants and contracts, purchasing, and travel.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in meeting submission deadlines of reports or the like that involve multi-faceted, detail-oriented tasks.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and work independently in managing and overseeing projects.
• Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with internal and external constituencies.
• Outstanding organizational skills and exceptional oral and written communication skills.
• Requires the ability to work under pressure.
• The work environment is pleasant.
• Equipment is state-of-the-art.
• No known risks or discomforts.
Salary and Appointment Information:
This is a full-time Civil Service Program Coordinator position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Application Procedure and Deadline Information:
Applications must be received by November 10, 2020. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.Step 3) Upload the following documents:
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Beckman Institute Human Resources at [email protected]. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment
College Name or Administrative Unit:Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation Category:2-Administrative Title:Coordinator of Research Programs - Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology (134509) Open Date:10/20/2020 Close Date:11/10/2020 Organization Name:BI Secretary Support