Director, School of Science, Engineering, and Technology
Director, School of Science, Engineering, and Technology
Penn State Harrisburg, a comprehensive college of The Pennsylvania State University, one of the largest and most widely-recognized institutions of higher education in the nation, invites applications for an academic administrative leader with a collaborative, creative, and inspiring vision for the position of Director of the School of Science, Engineering, and Technology (SSET).
This is a senior leadership role at Penn State Harrisburg. Consequently, the School Director reports to the chief academic officer, serves on both the Academic Council and the Chancellor's Council, has responsibility for the development and evaluation of faculty and staff in the School and the management of the School's budget, guides the strategic direction of SSET, and receives a competitive salary commensurate with the scope and portfolio of the position.
The School seeks an administrator with:
- Excellent communication skills
- Exceptional financial acumen
- Understanding of the complexities of a multi-campus, land-grant university
- Commitment to cultural diversity and inclusion
- Successful record of faculty and staff development
- Relevant and proven experience with, and responsibility for, the promotion and tenure process for an academic unit, including promotion of non-tenured faculty members.
The Director will set the standards for intellectual engagement and promote high quality teaching, research, and service. The successful candidate will have a record of achievement that qualifies them for appointment as a full professor with tenure in the college. The preferred starting date is January 1, 2021 or until the position is filled.
The preferred candidate will possess:
- An earned doctorate in, or closely related to, a discipline represented within the School
- Significant and proven experience in academic leadership at the level of dean, center director or department chair in an interdisciplinary unit
- Understanding of how to support programs in each of the five academic units of SSET, including Biology and Science, Civil Engineering and Structural/Construction Engineering Technology, Computer Science and Mathematics, Electrical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Technology, and Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Record of excellence in teaching, research, and service
- Experience with professional or regional accreditation, such as ABET
- Ability to work across academic units to help create and support interdisciplinary programs, such as those required for health care programs and integrated STEAMM initiatives (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math and Medicine)
- Demonstrated leadership in the enhancement of undergraduate and graduate education
- Proven management skills, including experience managing other units, such as institutes or centers
- Skills for developing collaborative relationships with business and industry
- Established record of assessing, cultivating, and soliciting prospective donors, acquiring external grants and gifts, practicing stewardship of gifts, and engaging faculty in the process of creating and growing a culture of philanthropy and grantsmanship
- Educational and/or experiential background to effectively represent various disciplines within the School.
As the largest School at the College, SSET (https://harrisburg.psu.edu/science-engineering-technology) offers Bachelor of Science programs in Computer Science, Mathematical Science, Biology, Science with Life Science option, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering Technology, and Structural Design and Construction Engineering Technology. SSET also offers Master's programs in Computer Science, Civil Engineering (with the approval of an option in Environmental Engineering in process), Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Engineering Management. SSET houses faculty with expertise in applied and pure mathematics, biology, chemistry, physiology, physics, and a variety of specialty areas in engineering. The School has approximately 2000 students and 80 full-time and 25 adjunct faculty members. All its engineering and technology programs are ABET accredited.
Penn State Harrisburg is located in Middletown, near the city of Harrisburg, the state capital of Pennsylvania. The College is easily accessible via interstate and rail routes from Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and New York. Penn State Harrisburg has an enrollment of more than 5000 resident instruction students, including a broad, diverse and non-traditional population and brings nationally accredited academic programs, award-winning faculty, and the resources of a world-class research university to Pennsylvania's Capital Region. The College offers students the opportunity to earn baccalaureate degrees in 39 academic majors. As a graduate center, the College offers 28 master's degrees and 3 doctoral degree programs. To learn more about the College and the School of Science, Engineering, and Technology, please visit http://harrisburg.psu.edu.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To apply, applicants should upload a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for five references.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Academic/job/Penn-State-Harrisburg/Director--School-of-Science--Engineering--and-Technology_REQ_0000007585-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency