Lab Assistant 1-Biology (Part-time)
South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC) seeks a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Lab Assistant 1 in the Biology Department.
South Puget Sound Community College is committed to increasing its cultural diversity with an emphasis on equity and inclusion among its professional staff. The students that we serve come from a variety of backgrounds. We strongly encourage members of the underrepresented groups, veterans, and bi- or multi-lingual individuals to apply for this position to help meet the needs of our diverse students and service district. We also offer:
• Free Bus service every 15 minutes to downtown Olympia and beyond
• Gym and recreation facilities
• FREE parking on our campuses – permits are not required
• On-campus child care
• Lots of activities with our Artist & Lecture series, which are FREE for staff and faculty
• Many community events in the Kenneth J. Minnaert Center for the Arts
• Fine dining in the Percival Room, offering vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free choices as part of our Culinary Arts and Baking & Pastry Arts programs
• Campus bookstore offering snacks, apparel, and specialty supplies
• Percival Creek running beneath our campus footbridge, providing year-round beauty and views of Chinook, Coho, and chum salmon runs
• Marked walking paths on nicely paved sidewalks
• A variety of wellness workshops and events
What You'll Do
- Prepares culture media according to established procedures including weighing and use of automatic dispensing devices;
- Prepares compounds and reagents according to specified procedures;
- Autoclaves and sterilizes laboratory materials; cleans and sterilizes glassware; codes new glassware and assists in maintaining a clean laboratory environment;
- Soaks seeds in potassium nitrate solution to break dormancy; plants them in incubated soil to evaluate germination potential; counts seeds, using vacuum counting apparatus;
- Attaches electrodes to patient and operates electrocardiograph; photocopies and files electrocardiograms;
- Crushes and breaks down rock samples and separates microscopic fossils from them;
- Performs clerical tasks such as filing;
- Cleans, checks and replenishes equipment and supplies from stock;
- Assists in performing inventory and reports laboratory supply needs;
- Collects soiled laundry; receives and distributes clean laundry;
- Perform related duties as required.
- Demonstrate multicultural competence (including an awareness and understanding of historically disadvantaged populations) and create an educational and work environment that affirms a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Support the college’s mission by creating a work environment of mutual respect and fairness, while encouraging creative and critical thinking.
- Contribute to the appreciation of diversity and foster a climate of multicultural understanding.
Qualifications You Possess
- Follow written and oral instructions
- Use common lab equipment
- Maintain professional relationships at the workplace.
- Demonstrated experience or participation with persons from diverse backgrounds such as sexual orientation, racial, ethnic, religious, linguistic, gender, age, socio-economic, physical and learning abilities, and a commitment to an inclusive and equitable working/learning environment.
Applications must be completed online and include the following attachments:
1. Cover letter addressed to the Screening Committee highlighting your ability to perform the responsibilities and competencies described in the job posting.
2. Current Resume showing all educational and professional experience which demonstrates how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications.
Top candidates will be notified directly to interview for this position. Selection will be based on the applicant’s knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties listed in this job posting as identified in the materials requested above. Applications with comments directing the reader to see attachments will be considered incomplete.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wishing to claim Veterans Preference should redact their personally identifiable information from a copy of their United States Department of Veterans Affairs honorable discharge documentation and email to [email protected] with the job number for which they are applying in the subject line.
Background Check Condition of Employment
Employment with the college is contingent upon the successful completion of a comprehensive background check. Any adverse information will be considered on a case-by-case basis and does not automatically preclude a candidate from employment.
Conditions of Part-Time Employment
Non-permanent employees under the provisions of WAC 357-19-435 are only authorized to work up to a maximum of 1,050 hours in any twelve (12) consecutive- month period from the original date of hire. Employment with the college could end any time.
South Puget Sound Community College values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator
South Puget Sound Community College provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, creed, religion, or status as a veteran of war. Prohibited sex discrimination includes sexual harassment (unwelcome sexual conduct of various types). SPSCC provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students, employees, and applicants with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Federal Rehabilitation Act. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, Title II and Title IX, Samantha Dotson, Executive Human Resource Officer /Title IX Coordinator, 360-596-5361, [email protected], Building 25, Room 220, 2011 Mottman Rd SW, Olympia, WA 98512; South Puget Sound Community College is a smoke-free/drug free environment.
Applicants needing accommodation in the application process in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources office at (360) 596-5500.