Student Account Customer Service Rep
Position InformationPresent Position Number00582WRole Code TitleAdmin & Office Specialist IIIPosition TitleStudent Account Customer Service RepPosition Summary
The Student Accounts Customer Service Representative provides front-line customer service to the Bursar’s office; answers the phone, services walk-in customers and maintains accurate financial transactions related to student accounts. Accountable for all aspects of processing student payments to include: vendor invoicing and reconciliations.
Core responsibilities include:
- Serves as a front line customer service representative, providing accurate and timely information about student accounts charges and payment, payments plans, refunds, outside scholarships, third-party payments, and 1098T tax forms.
- Manages outside scholarship process and third-party contracts: Posts, releases, and reconciles scholarship memos to student accounts. Invoices and follows up with scholarship organizations and third-party contract vendors about payments that have not been received or need to be returned by the University. Monitors outstanding invoices, and delinquent accounts. Maintains scholarship and third-party files utilizing a document imaging system. Reviews all memos for accuracy prior to the e-bill process being run to ensure that the information is up to date.
- Assists students with Tuition Installment Payment Plan: reviews student’s enrollment eligibility, set up, adjustments, ensures tuition and fees are covered by a payment plan, and resolves students’ payment plan inquiries, including payments made via Touchnet payment system, late fees, and delinquencies.
- Processes contracts for local school districts, Virginia 529, Post 911 GI Bill, invoices contract organizations and reconciles all records of payments received to rosters.
- Processes all employee waivers and senior citizen waivers per Commonwealth of Virginia and University policy.
High School diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of student accounts, collections, and financial aid processes.
- Familiarity with accounting policies and procedures, with demonstrated cash handling skills.
- Knowledge of student loan processing of both private and federal loans.
- Proficiency in a variety of software applications, including MS office (specifically Word, Excel) and automated accounting software programs.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a strong customer service orientation and the ability to work effectively with a diverse University community, exercising diplomacy and good judgment in all interactions.
- Effective problem-solving skills with the ability to learn and apply processes and procedures and resolve a multitude of issues within scope of position.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, and manage competing priorities in stressful situations.
- Strong background in customer service/customer relations
- Demonstrated experience with accounting or fiscal administration.
Univeristy level courses in accounting, finance or closely related field.
- Knowledge of Commonwealth VA policies and procedures particularly in a higher-education setting.
- Knowledge of Banner student and finance modules or other ERP based module system.
- Working knowledge of TouchNet system is desirable.
- Experience working in student accounts or Bursar’s office is highly preferred.
- Experience using Banner (Finance) or similar oracle-based accounting system is desirable.
- Experience working with VA policies and procedures within a state college or university system.
- Experience working in higher education, preferably in a student accounts office.
U05Job Open Date10/19/2020Review Begin DateJob Close Date11/02/2020Open Until FilledNoEmployment CategoryFull Time OperationalPosition Term12-MonthSpecial Application InstructionsConditions of Employment:
- This is a non-exempt position, eligible to receive overtime in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- This position may be subject to overtime beyond the typical work day/week due during high peak times, as approved by the supervisor.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Supplemental Question
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter