Senior Research Associate
Posting DetailsPosting NumberS05321PWorking TitleSenior Research AssociateDepartmentCAES Assoc Dean for ResearchAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department
University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Research works with instruction and extension to support Georgia’s $75 billion food and fiber industry, the largest sector of the state’s economy. CAES scientists solve agricultural and environmental problems across the state, the nation and the world.
Our diverse research portfolio is based on a well-integrated blend of fundamental and translational research. We are known nationally and internationally as leaders in poultry science, plant breeding, genetics and genomics, food safety and entomology. We are home to internationally recognized Centers of Excellence in plant breeding and genomics; food quality, food safety, and product development; and animal genetics, reproductive technology, and nutrition.
Our statewide network of Experiment Stations and Research and Education Centers cover more than 11,000 acres and provide unprecedented opportunities for problem-solving research and technology transfer to agricultural producers and businesses.
UGA in general is a leader in technology commercialization based on university research. For the past 5 years, UGA has ranked among the top 5 of all U.S. universities for the total number of licenses and options executed. Typically about 75% of the university’s licensing revenue is generated by the CAES, primarily from royalties associated with patented plant cultivars.College/Unit/Department websitehttps://www.caes.uga.edu/departments/research.htmlPosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRS or ORPEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
8:00 AM-5:00 PM, Monday-FridayAdvertised SalaryCommensurate with qualificationsPosting Date10/20/2020Open until filledNoClosing Date11/01/2020Proposed Starting Date01/01/2021Special Instructions to ApplicantsLocation of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification TitleResearch Professional ADFLSAExemptJob FamilyFTE1.00Minimum Qualifications
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred QualificationsPosition Summary
This new position will be funded by a USDA-ARS Cooperative Agreement: “Managing whiteflies and whitefly-transmitted viruses in vegetable crops in the Southeastern U.S.”. This award runs through September 2024. This position is renewable annually, contingent on available funding.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
- Record of scholarly publications
- Experience in molecular biology, including next-generation sequencing, RNA-seq,
- Experience in bioinformatics, indicated by publications
- Experience observing the behavior
- Familiarity with statistical analyses
- Work with undergraduates supervising undergraduate research projects
- Experience working with insects
- Experience developing RNAi and CRISPR technology in insects
- Sitting at a computer for long periods of time
- Standing at a workbench for long periods of time
- Lifting up to 30 pounds
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
- Assist the PI with oversight of the whitefly project, including organizing meetings with participants at USDA, Fort Valley State University, and the three campuses of UGA
- Assist in the preparation and submission of annual reports to USDA
- Participate in molecular studies, including the application of RNAi and leading the development of other gene-editing techniques
- Participate in other molecular studies of behavior in insects, including leading studies of gene expression and gene function
- Provide advice and guidance to graduate students in the laboratory when requested
- Supervise work-study and undergraduate hourly workers maintaing insect colonies
- Co-supervise with the PI undergaduate honors projects
Write up research results for peer-reviewed publication, and submit papers in collaboration with the PIPercentage of time10Duties/Responsibilities
Prepare and submit grants to external funding agencies in collaboration with PI.Percentage of time5Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you possess a valid driver's license?
- No Response