Data Science Fellow
Posting DetailsJob TitleData Science FellowDepartmentKen Kennedy Institute for Information TechnologyFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS21137Open Date10/19/2020Close Date11/02/2020Salary Information
$42,100 – $67,400Work Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
May be required to work overtime and/or weekends to support programs, to meet deadlines, or in the event of an emergency.
The Ken Kennedy Institute at Rice University, established in 1987, is dedicated to solving critical global challenges with collaborative approaches that focus on innovations in computing and harnessing the transformative power of data. The Institute is the virtual home of over two hundred faculty members and senior researchers at Rice University spanning computer science, mathematics, statistics, engineering, natural sciences, humanities, social sciences, business, architecture and music. Primarily, the Institute is a catalyst for research collaborations across the conventional boundaries of university, department, center and laboratory. Our increasingly complex world demands solutions that span disciplines. Today, most of our activities are in machine learning, AI, data science, and high performance computing and on how these can provide insight and enable convergent research in medicine, engineering, natural sciences, social sciences, humanities and the arts.
The data science fellow will work on clinical research projects involving the application of novel machine learning algorithms; be responsible for all aspects of data access and data cleaning/standardization in order to prepare raw data for feature creation; and work with Rice faculty to apply and develop data science and machine learning algorithms for clinical data.
Successful candidates will work within multiple teams and need to be self-driven and comfortable working independently.
This is a benefits eligible two-year term limited position with the possibility of extension based upon need and available funding.
Master’s degree or an advanced degree in computer science, math, statistics, physics, computational biology, or a closely related field.Experience Required3 yearsType of Experience
Related experience in computation and data.Substitution for Experience RequirementMay substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
- Experience which may include experience gained as an undergraduate/graduate student or training gained subsequent to graduation is acceptable
- Experience in Python
- Experience applying statistics to clinical data
- Experience applying machine learning algorithms to clinical data
- Experience in cloud environments
- Experience with Linux and Spark (or related)
- Experience in imaging data
- Experience in designing and implementing efficient algorithms
- Experience in application and design of machine learning algorithms to large data sets
- Experience developing data pipelines that include model application
NoneLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Knowledge of software statistical packages such as Stata, SAS, R, or HLM
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Ability to build reports
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills including proofreading
- Excellent presentation skills
- Knowledge of patient databases
- SQL ability and knowledge of relational databases, data modeling, and schema normalization techniques
- Excellent teamwork and organizational skills
- A desire to work in a fast-paced environment on a wide range of projects
Internal contacts: Contact with Rice University leadership, faculty, students, and staff
External contacts: Contact with industrial partners, corporations, government agencies and officials, NGOs, and foundationsPhysical Demands
Requires working in front of a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day).Working Conditions
- Typical office environment
- Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- May be required to work overtime and/or weekends to support programs, to meet deadlines, or in the event of an emergency
Position is not considered essential during a campus emergency.Rice University Standard of Civility
Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.Security Sensitive
As defined under the Texas Education Code and Rice Policy No. 425, this position is security sensitive and employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/24863Essential Functions
- Participates in the design, planning and implementation of research projects and data analysis
- Identifies, locates and obtains data/information
- Utilizes statistical software to quantify data
- Designs database models
- Builds automated reporting solutions
- Manipulates and cleans-up data
- Completes data analysis
- Reports research findings
- Ensures information presented is valid and accurate
- Develops presentations and reports
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Works on clinical research projects involving the application of novel machine learning algorithms
- Responsible for all aspects of data access and data cleaning/standardization in order to prepare raw data for feature creation
- Works with Rice faculty to apply and develop data science and machine learning algorithms for clinical data
- Works with data team to provide information and decision support
- Creates presentations to communicate data insights and findings with external technical and non-technical audiences
- Functions as part of multiple teams across institutions
- Coordinates with multiple scientists to move grant process forward
- Writes high-quality grant proposal narratives and supporting documents
- Works with graduate students when applicable
- Communicates with research partners to improve the research infrastructure
- Leads in the development of modules and tools to perform various tasks as required
- Cover Letter
- References/Recommendation Request
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement?
- * Do you have three or more years of experience in computation and data, or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your level of knowledge of software statistical packages such as Stata, SAS, R, or HLM.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide the salary or range that you would require or consider for this position.
(Open Ended Question)