Early Childhood Associate (Temporary)
Assist and support with the care and educational needs of children ages 6 weeks to 8 years of age, in accordance to state, federal, and District regulations, policies, procedures, and accreditation standards established by the national association of education for young children (NAEYC).
SCOPE AND NATURE:
Positions in this classification are responsible for assisting in the planning and implementing of a variety of activities for children ages 6 weeks-8 years, which requires knowledge of child development and early childhood education. Work requires judgment and discretion to observe and evaluate children's progress and develop adaptable activities that meet individual’s developmental needs. Employee will be expected to evaluate and respond appropriately to situations to ensure the well-being and safety of all children.
1. Assist with the planning & implementation of age appropriate curriculum to young children 6 weeks to 8 years of age to include emphasis in social/emotional skills, cognitive skills, artistic skills, fine and gross motor development, and language development.
2. Assist with the daily care routines of young children to include supervision and implementation of daily learning activities and assisting with the health, safety, and welfare of all children.
3. Prepare art supplies, games, bulletin boards, and other learning materials for children's usage and enjoyment.
4. Communicate with parents/guardians to share information about child's progress and needs as directed by the Senior Child Care Attendant.
5. Observe children for possible signs of illness, abuse and/or developmental delays and report findings to Center Director.
6. Assist in the preparation of healthy snacks and special meals for children.
7. Assist with the preparation of child records and documentation including health information, attendance, progress, and evaluation as required by state licensing regulations and Center policies.
8. Assist in maintaining the cleanliness and orderliness of the Center including proper storage and placement of materials and routine repair of equipment.
9. Perform a variety of routine clerical duties such as answering telephone, preparing materials, etc.
10. Attend Center staff meetings and training sessions.
11. Under general supervision, oversee classroom and daily activities when the Senior Early Childhood Development Associate is out of the room or absent.
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability Requirements:
1. Working knowledge of childhood growth and development from birth through ten years of age.
2. Knowledge and certification in first aid, CPR/AED, safety, sanitation and nutrition pertaining to child care.
3. Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with children, parents, and other staff.
4. Ability to plan and organize own work and creative activities for children.
5. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Education and Work Experience Requirements:
1. High school education.
2. Eighty hours of training in Early Childhood Education or a diploma from a one year Child Care Services Program or Child Development Associate(CDA) or two years of college credit with three credits in Early Childhood Education.
3. Eighty (80) full days or one hundred 20 (120) half days experience providing direct child care as a teacher or volunteer in a licensed child care center, kindergarten or be certified as a nursery school teacher through the Department of Public Instruction.
4. Experience in working with children 2 years of age or younger is preferred; or, a minimum of 10 hours of training in infant and toddler care; or 10 hours of training in infant and toddler care is required within 6 months of hire.
This position supports the Child Development Center and is available immediately.
Hours: 20-28 hours per week scheduled Monday through Friday. Hours of work will vary depending upon the needs of the Department, but most will be primarily in the morning.
To learn more of this opportunity please contact Angie Todd, Director of the Child Development Center at [email protected].