Research Compliance Accountant
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Who We AreCCO maintains and supports the university's fiscal responsibility through accurate financial accounting and reporting and in compliance with laws, regulations, policies/procedures and contract requirements for sponsored projects. We provide oversight, assistance and training in financial stewardship for the Boulder campus.What Your Key Responsibilities Will BeSponsored Project Cost Transfers
- Monitors and analyzes manual interdepartmental invoices and cost transfers to sponsored projects for compliance with Federal and State regulations, award terms and conditions, and UC System Cost Transfer Guidelines/Procedures.
- Reviews journal entries for allowability, timeliness, and accurate documentation. Works with campus research administrators (department administrators, institute finance managers) and Principal Investigators (PIs) to provide additional information or justification for the transactions. This position will contact the campus research administrators for more information about the journal entries and, if appropriate, advise the department that these journal entries cannot be approved, including the basis for the decision. Works with OCG, CCO Costshare Accountant, and CCO Grant Accountants as needed to resolve unapproved journal entries. Substantiates journal entries with m-Fin reports and InfoEd.
- This position is responsible for approving all cost transfer journal entries independently. May collaborate with supervisor to resolve sophisticated transfer journal entry issues.
- Instruct and provide training to campus research administrators and PIs on cost transfer policies. Work with new and existing departmental and institute personnel in order to help them understand the CU Boulder cost transfer policy, Uniform Guidance, and University policies. Analyze cost transfer volume data at the department/institute and PI levels to determine areas of potential audit risk. Provide additional training for campus research administrators that consistently enter late cost transfer journal entries with inadequate documentation.
- Use knowledge of accounting standards and campus policies and procedures to recommend improvements in cost transfer processes, including updating current cost transfer policies and suggestions for new processes and reports, as well as suggestions for new departmental trainings.
- This position will research and interpret Uniform Guidance and University policies and keep up to date with audit findings of other research universities in order to determine if CU Boulder departmental journal entries are in accordance with Federal guidelines and University policies.
- This position will manage special projects for the CCO Research Financial Services and campus partners to help facilitate fluctuating accounting duties.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.Be StatementsBe Ambitious. Be Strategic. Be Boulder.What We RequireBachelor's degree in accounting or related field and one year accounting experience. Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.What You Will Need
- Knowledge of research financial compliance and federal regulations.
- Knowledge of General Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Ability to prioritize, work independently and understand and apply policies and procedures.
- Attention to detail, use good judgment, be a problem solver, work independently, meet deadlines and enjoy a variety of challenging work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate with varying levels of authority and reliability.
- Experience with PeopleSoft or similar accounting systems.
- Experience with research accounting or administration in a higher education setting.
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human ResourcesPosting Contact Email: [email protected]