Financial Aid Counselor
Financial Aid CounselorTracking Code531-280 Job Description
The Financial Aid Counselor serves as a primary student service specialist within Financial Aid, responsible for counseling students and parents on the phone, via email, and in person. This position is also responsible for the administration and coordination of the university’s loan programs and financial aid literacy programming. Special projects and/or other duties may also be assigned as deemed appropriate. The counselor will, in general, contribute to the planning and execution of the Enrollment Management recruitment and retention efforts.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as a student service specialist by counseling students and parents in various aspects of the admissions and financial aid processes providing viable financial aid options in an ethical and customer service oriented manner
- Manages loan programs
- Process student files from application through awarding using Banner
- Assist with all areas of financial aid as cyclical needs warrant. Such areas may include: VA Educational Program, State of Florida programs, federal and private loan programs, outside scholarships, endowed scholarships, Pell Grant, work study, etc.
- Manage the merit and packaging awarding processes for both estimated and actual award notifications
- Review files for federal verification and professional judgment
- Monthly reconciliation reports
- Data tracking/assessment
- Assist other staff members as needed in a cross-trained one-stop environment
- Performs other site and position specific functions as assigned
ROUTINE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Interact with students and their families regarding financial aid via phone, email, or in person
- Counselor for general student population
- Awarding and Packaging of all types and sources of aid
- Review discrepancy reports and make necessary adjustments to students’ aid
- Verification, professional judgement, and appeals processing
- Resolve C-flags and conflicting information
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degreeRequired Skills
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in financial aid is required
- Strong technical and interpersonal skills required
- Ability to function and appropriately prioritize in a fast-paced, high volume environment required.
- Must be a cooperative team player with an overall goal to perform for the good of the office.
- Some weekend and evening hours may be required.
This position at the University entails duties related to the oversight of or responsibility for admission, certification of academic eligibility, financial aid literacy programs administration, and management of loan programs. Stetson University is a member of NCAA Division I and of the Atlantic Sun (A-Sun) Conference and is, therefore, obligated to comply with NCAA and A-Sun rules and regulations. As such, compliance with Atlantic Sun Conference and NCAA rules in performance of these duties is paramount. Violation of these rules may result in disciplinary and/or corrective actions.
- A Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with Ellucian Banner Financial Aid system a plus.
Salary Grade: 5Job Location DeLand, Florida, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular