Human Resources Specialist
Provides high level support to Human Resources (HR) processes including customer service to internal and external customers and direct support to the HR Team. Start and end times for the position will vary between 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to provide department coverage and are subject to change based on College operating hours.Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as a key team member within the Human Resources Department.
- Provide high level support to the HR area, which includes effective interaction with internal and external customers to answer questions, provide information and assistance, and respond to concerns in a pleasant and professional manner, and perform duties of office functions as assigned.
- Maintain knowledge of HR and organizational practices, procedures, policies and systems to be able to make informed decisions using critical thinking to problem solve.
- Analyze and document HR processes and procedures to make informed recommendations, improvements and efficiencies.
- Assist with the paperwork collection and processing of work assignments for adjunct faculty, work-study and/or student employees.
- Provide support to payroll, hiring, recruitment, benefits, employee relations, compliance recordkeeping, and other HR related functions and remain cross-trained to assist in any area as needed.
- Organize, handle and file confidential and sensitive material. Develop and implement new filing systems as required.
- Proficiently work with College computer systems and software (Microsoft, Peoplesoft, NEOGOV, Perceptive Content, etc.) including data entry, retrieving applicable information, utilizing necessary reports/queries, and work within the test environment.
- Schedule meetings, prepare meeting agendas and materials, take minutes as requested, use word processing, develop correspondence and reports, database management, presentation preparation, spreadsheet development and conference/meeting coordination.
- Review budget reports, process budget transfers, enter purchase orders, coordinate travel arrangements, and prepare payment authorizations and reimbursements
- Monitor and adhere to established HR timelines and schedules including any reoccurring annual activities and deadlines.
- Order and maintain office supplies and operate within the department budget.
- Identify confidential material and issues and exercise integrity in dealing with them.
- Organize, handle and file confidential and sensitive material related to human resources issues, including performance evaluations, discipline records, payroll deductions, medical files, affirmative action reports, grievances, performance management, and employment verifications.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality and compliance under HIPAA and other privacy acts in the assistance of processes, including the development of print and on-line information, responding to inquiries from employees, processing new hire paperwork, new employee orientation, Family Medical Leave Act, Workers Compensation and ADA accommodations.
- Participate in professional development activities, including workshops and conferences.
- Work as a team to ensure there is office coverage during all hours of operation, including assistance in other departments as the need arises. In the absence of other team members, perform duties of office functions as assigned.
- Provide support and other duties related to administrative responsibilities as assigned to other NTC divisions as needed.
A minimum of two years' postsecondary education appropriate to position responsibilities with at least two years' related experience, preferably in a Human Resources environment; additional appropriate experience will be considered as an equivalent to two years' postsecondary education. High functionality and proficiency in computer systems along with the ability to learn new systems.
This position must demonstrate the ability to confidentially carry out directions but may also exercise initiative and make recommendations within the scope of authority. Must be customer-focused with an ability to handle sensitive situations and people in a discreet confidential matters. Requires strong verbal and written communication skills, initiative, creativity, and resourcefulness. Must have the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities, complete projects timely and accurately; work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities. Must demonstrate proficiency in using computer technologies with Microsoft Office Suite (Word and Excel), HRIS, applicant tracking and scanning software.Physical Demands
6 to 8 hours: Performing repetitive movements, sitting and working indoors
4 to 5 hours: None
1 to 3 hours: Bending, grasping, pulling, pushing, reaching, standing and walking
Less than 1 hour: Balancing, climbing, crawling, driving, kneeling, twisting, working at heights, working in temperature extremes and working outdoors
Lifting and Carrying:
Less than 10 pounds: 1-10 repetition(s) per hour
10 to 20 pounds: 1-10 repetition(s) per hour
20-50 pounds: Less than 1 repetition per hour
50-100 pounds: Less than 1 repetition per hour
More than 100 pounds with help: Less than 1 repetition per hour
Additional Physical Requirements:
Vision: Adequate with aid to read instructions, labels, documents, computer screens, and differentiate between colors.
Hearing: Adequate with aid to understand oral requests, telephone conversation, and PA systems.
Required Employee Program Safety Training:
Bloodborne pathogen, chemical hygiene, emergency action plan, emergency procedures, ergonomics (office/workplace) and slips, trips and falls.