FOOD/NUTRITION ASSOC - PREP/SVC
Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America’s leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Position is located at Duke University Marine Lab - Beaufort, North Carolina
Duties standards. General Qualifications Scope of Responsibilities Perform a wide variety of intermediate and complex tasks in the preparation of food stuffs; interpret recipes, cook and assemble large quantities of food for campus foodservice; assume lead worker duties as directed.
1. Assist as needed to expedite the flow of work in the kitchen, storeroom, and food service areas.
2. Set up and prepare supplies and equipment for daily food preparation to include ovens, ranges, grills, fryers, broilers and steam units; operate blenders, meat slicers, mixers, and vegetable choppers; clean equipment after use.
3. Assemble ingredients to prepare foods according to standard recipes; measure, weigh and portion foods as directed; read and interpret instructions and review for possible errors relating to specified quantities, ingredients, proportions or mixtures; refer inaccuracies to supervisor for appropriate modifications.
4. Prepare entrees, casseroles, special dishes and complex food items requiring multiple steps and sequences during preparation; monitor and observe food during the cooking and serving process; regulate temperatures and /or timing of cooked foods as appropriate; evaluate quality and ensure final product meets standards.
5. Detect and report improperly prepared food or food that does not meet standards; monitor proper functioning of equipment; take corrective action as appropriate and ensure final product meets expectations.
6. Assist supervisor in training employees in their duties and responsibilities; provide instructions and guidance as required; assume lead responsibility for assigned work areas as directed.
7. Clean and sanitize assigned areas following proper procedures; participate in post-meal cleanup. Assist in the care and maintenance of work areas, supplies and equipment; alert supervisor to problems and needs as appropriate.
8. Perform other duties related to the work described herein.
Work requires the ability to understand and follow instructions, interpret recipes, use fractions to modify proportions and mix, measure and /or prepare ingredients generally acquired through a high school education.
Job-Specific Skills and Competencies Work requires one year of food production experience and the maintenance of a ServSafe Certification. Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and /or experience.
Work requires the ability to understand and follow instructions, education. Interpret recipes, use fractions to modify proportions and mix, measure and/or prepare ingredients generally acquired through a high school
Work requires one year of food production experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.